Sunday, August 25, 2019

Summertime, and the Livin' Is Easy

Began an absolutely stunning day with Blueberry Almond Pancakes for breakfast. They came out absolutely perfect, sweet and tasty. Made Zucchini Bread from a revised version of the recipe in Julie's Cooking Studio and the yellow zucchini from the farm market after I ate. I cut the oil down slightly, cut the two cups of brown sugar to one, and used a cup of whole wheat flour with the regular flower. Oh, yum! It came out sooo tasty, just sweet and moist enough, and it smelled amazing coming out of the oven.

Worked on writing while the bread was in the oven. Maz is angry as heck when Bob and his boys shoot ice beams that freeze her staff. She hurries off to sober up Charlie in a hurry while Leia confronts Fettman in the air.

As soon as the bread was out of the oven, I decided it was too nice to sit inside all day. I've been sitting inside all summer. I headed out for a walk. It couldn't have been nicer for late August. The breeze was cool and fresh, and it was warm but not humid. It was lovely in the neighborhood, with kids riding around on their bikes and their parents working in yards that had gone crazy from all the rain we've gotten.

Stopped briefly at Dollar General. I needed sponges, but they were out of the cheap pack. I grabbed one, some colored ink pens that looked cool, a Bai coconut drink, and my favorite pecan nut roll, and moved on.

I couldn't remember the last time I had a nice, long walk in Newton Lake Park. I wasn't the only one out and about today. The park was teeming with people. Kids chased each other on the playground while their mothers looked on and I happily hopped on the swings. Children rode their bikes; adults walked their dogs or went fishing or for strolls. The park was also glowing with colors that would make the rainbow pale. I sniffed beautiful flowers in shades of yellow and magenta and pale pink and admired a butterfly with a dot on its cream-colored wings flit from blossom to blossom. It was wonderful to finally be able to get out and communicate with nature again.

As soon as I got home, I changed into my bathing suit, sliced the bread, packed up some cookies, and went over to Dad and Jodie's house for a swim and a chat. Jessa and Rose and her kids were already there when I arrived. Had a sloppy joe with potato salad and corn on the cob before jumping into a cool-but-not-freezing pool.

Had a long chat with Jodie and Jessa after Rose took her kids home. We talked about Dad's many appointments for cancer treatments, about Jessa and Joe's jobs as mail people, and about the family. I have to admit, I'm going to miss this after the summer is over. It's been nice to go over and have a quiet chat with them over dinner and a swim. In fact, it's really been one of the highlights of my mostly frustrating summer.

Moved on to Lego Star Wars when I got home. No luck anywhere. Just couldn't get all the pieces in time on "Into the Death Star." Got a little bit further on the Super Story, to the end of the "Battle of Endor" round, but just couldn't do it. I'll try again tomorrow.

Finished up the night with a Match Game marathon. I couldn't begin to list all of the funny episodes I watched tonight, so I'm just going to choose one. We discover that even top-rated game shows have glitches when Gene has such a hard time getting the machine that holds the questions to stay put, he has to ask Charles and a contestant to help out.

Match Game '76

No comments: