Saturday, August 10, 2019

Under the Breezes

Kicked off a stunning morning with breakfast and something different. I thought, after all the TV shows I've binged on this week, I needed a break. I opted for music today with the original cast of Hello Dolly! Carol Channing was a sensation as the title character, but to tell the truth, she's a little strange in the title role. I prefer Pearl Bailey. She has a nice supporting cast, though. Along with Charles Nelson Reilly in a rare romantic role as Cornelius Hackle, she's joined by grouchy character actor David Burns as Horace Vandergelder and Eileen Brennan, best known to my family as Mrs. Peacock from Clue, as Irene Malloy. "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" and "Elegance" are especially fun here, and Channing gives her all in the title number and "Before the Parade Passes By."

As soon as the record ended, I dashed off to the Collingswood Farm Market. They were packed elbow-to-elbow with people buying the abundant produce for barbecues and family get-togethers. I went with peaches, tiny Granny Smith apples, a yellow zucchini, potatoes, a small cantaloupe, and heirloom cherry tomatoes that were so sweet, I ate them like candy throughout the day. It was certainly a gorgeous day for a trip to the farm market. The day was pleasantly warm, with a cool breeze and no humidity at all.

It was so nice, I took the long way back across Newton Lake Park, past the Parkview Apartments. Dodged quite a few people on my way down the winding path, including other bikers. The river sparkled in the morning sunlight; the trees waved to me in the soft breeze.

Had enough time to switch to the fourth season of Sailor Moon while having a quick yogurt and fruit lunch. The Guardians hit the beach to enjoy their own beautiful weather and admire the hot guys in "Sparkling Summer Days: Ami Under the Sea Breeze." Usagi's little brother Shingo would rather admire Ami. When Tiger's Eye of the Amazon Trio goes after Ami and hurts Shingo, she's the one who goes into action to save the boy.

Headed to work after the cartoon was over. Work was a bit of a pain today, Though I did manage to get outside and sweep early-on, they had plenty of baggers. What they didn't have was cashiers. I got stuck in the register for entirely too much of the day. It was busy, too, much busier than it has been. The college kids are starting to get ready to go back to school. Thank goodness it slowed down enough by 4 for me to rush out.

Went straight into writing when I got home. Luke wants to know more about his light powers and how they contrast with the dark, but Yoda's not too keen on discussing them. He tries to get Luke meditating instead, but he can't focus. Luke is about to leave when he feels strange vibrations coming from a tangle of trees and vines nearby...

Broke for dinner at quarter of 7. Enjoyed tacos with tomatoes and cucumbers and fried potatoes for dinner while listening to Dames at Sea. This 1968 off-Broadway show was a small-scale spoof of the Busby Berkley spectacles of the 1930's and gave Bernadette Peters one of her first major roles. My favorite number from this one goes to Peters, the rather lovely jab at poetic rain-themed ballads, "Raining In My Heart."

Moved on to Lego Star Wars after dinner. Decided to give a couple of rounds from Return of the Jedi a shot. Had no luck with either. I got closer with "Jedi Destiny" than with "Jabba's Palace," where there was one piece I just could not get to. I may just return to Empire tomorrow.

Charlie called while I was playing the game. He stained the wooden walkway leading to my apartment today, but it's going to take until Wednesday to dry. He also mentioned that the vegetables are now up in his garden and I was able to take a few.

Finished the night on YouTube with Rock-A-Doodle. I go further into this odd Don Bluth animation/live action hybrid at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Rock-A-Doodle

No comments: