Thursday, August 15, 2019

Hot In Oaklyn

Began the day with another early work shift. Once again, it was pretty dead. I gathered trash and recycling and swept the patio in the morning and swept the store later, but I was mainly outside with the carts. There just wasn't that much to do inside. Besides, it was a pretty decent day. It was cloudy when I went to work, but by the time I was on my way home, the sun was out, and it was breezy, hot, and humid.

Had a quick lunch when I got in, listening to more Unsung Musicals. My favorite of the entire series is the second Unsung collection, featuring such lovely and enjoyable songs as the title number from Roadside, "Everything In the World I Love" from The Yearling, and "The Memory of Tonight" from a musical version of Arthur. Switched things up with Unsung Irving Berlin, a collection of Berlin numbers from abandoned projects and cut from shows and movies. Favorites here include the sprightly opening number "It's a Lovely Day for a Walk," the gorgeous "Whisper It," and the jaunty "I'm On My Way Home."

Tried to head out to the laundromat after lunch...but no matter how much I searched, I couldn't find my laundry detergent. I must have left it at the laundromat last week. I ended up dashing to Dollar General a few blocks down to grab more detergent and an Orange Coke. Thankfully, the laundromat was pretty quiet when I did make it there, and I didn't have a big load anyway. I was mainly washing my work clothes. I did story notes and half-listened to the Philly police commissioner talk about the cops who were shot yesterday (and complain about the DA).

Put everything away when I got home, then went right on the computer to write. Harris and Leia sit down for Maz's dinner. She has everything set up in the bar, from an intimate space in the back to a roast beef meal. Harris is hoping he'll finally show Leia how he feels...but it's not going to stay intimate for long...

Did a Three Stooges short while making turkey hot dogs and zucchini and cherry tomatoes sauteed in lemon-white wine sauce for dinner. The guys are "Three Hams On Rye" when they're ordered by the owner of a theater to root out a critic who always pans his shows. Not only do they not find the guy, the performance becomes a real hoot when they accidentally put a pillow in a cake and end up coughing up feathers.

Moved on to Lego Star Wars after I ate and put on vegetable stock to steep. Finally completed "Jabba's Palace" at the last minute. Still couldn't figure out "Great Pit of Carkoon." I'll try again there tomorrow.

Finished out the night with the 1951 MGM Show Boat. I discuss the differences between this version and the 1936 film at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Show Boat (1951)

No comments: