Sunday, August 11, 2019

Oh What a Beautiful Morning

Kicked off a gorgeous morning with early work. It started pretty well. I spent the first half-hour outside, gathering carts and enjoying the stunning weather. It was once again sunny, breezy, and dry, probably no warmer than the lower 80's. After the carts were done, I shelved loose items until break. Things picked up considerably by 10, to the point where I kept getting stuck in the register, even when the head manager told me to mop up the leaking freezer they're still having trouble with. (Although to be fair, they're in the midst of fixing it, and even before that, it wasn't nearly as bad as it has been.) Thankfully, I was able to spend the last hour shelving candy and back out with the carts.

Stopped to grab a few things after I finished. They had a ton of discontinued honey. I figured I'd get at least one more jar. What I really needed was money. I'm hoping to go to the movies tomorrow and do my laundry later in the week.

Headed straight home after work. Charlie said last night that I could take whatever I wanted from his garden. It doesn't look like the big tomatoes are quite ready yet, but I grabbed five cherry tomatoes to go with the ones I bought yesterday and a very fuzzy cucumber.

When I got in, I thought I'd try something different with that tomato windfall. I've made some delicious Tomato Spice Cakes, so I thought I'd try Tomato Spice Pancakes, with brown sugar and sliced cherry tomatoes. Other than I burned one side, they actually came out nicely. I may use less sugar if I make these again later in the summer, though. They might have been slightly too sweet.

Listened to Steel Pier while I enjoyed my brunch. This odd Kander & Ebb musical from 1997 has dancer Rita (Karen Ziemba) taking part in a marathon in Atlantic City in the early 30's. She's partnered with handsome young pilot Bill (Daniel McDonald) who suddenly appears on the boardwalk. He's not what he seems, though, especially when he manages to keep them in the show despite her falling. Meanwhile, her husband Mick (Gregory Harrison), who counts on Rita and her marathon dancing as his meal ticket, is more than a little jealous. The story is confusing and more than a little odd, but there's some real gems in the score, including "Willing to Ride" for Rita, "First You Dream" and "Leave the World Behind" for Bill, and the ribald "Everybody's Girl" for fellow marathoner Shelby Stevens (Debra Monk).

I was so tired from a late night and an early morning, I took a nap for two hours after lunch. I got up just in time to change into a bathing suit and ride over to Dad and Jodie's house for a swim. It was just the two of them and me tonight. Everyone else was at work, recovering from work, or on vacation. I floated around the slightly murky waters, then blew a curved yellow leaf across the ripples. Dinner was meatloaf with scalloped potatoes, creamed corn, and slices of a delicious banana bread that Jodie made herself with added orange juice. Dana did join us to eat, having come in from her own nap.

Finished the night at home with Lego Star Wars. I tried "Jabba's Palace" twice and "Hoth Battle" once with no luck. I might just go back to the Super Story tomorrow.

No comments: