Monday, August 05, 2019

Dolls On a Hot Day

Started off a sunny morning with breakfast and more What's New, Scooby Doo? The Hex Girls of the movie Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost return in "The Vampire Strikes Back." They're doing a music video in a spooky castle in Transylvania, but a vampire keeps disrupting the shoot and scaring one of the girls. The gang catches the vampire...but it seems there's an identical blood-sucker who doesn't want the singers on his property.

After I ate, I pulled out the remaining box of Christmas photos. It took me over an hour, but I finally chose a picture of me bent over my little bright magenta Casio keyboard for an audience of toys and holiday books. I'm obviously focused on my playing - my tongue is out, and I don't even see the camera. I wish I could throw half that determination into everything I do today!

Continued with Scooby as I organized the photos. He's a "Homeward Hound" when he witnesses the six puppies of a champion golden retriever being stolen and is kidnapped along with them. While the gang tries to figure out who's behind the cat creature terrifying the dog show, Scooby evades the kidnappers and leads the pups back.

Headed out after the cartoon ended. Since I was just going to be in the neighborhood, I left the bike behind and went on foot. It thankfully wasn't as hot as last week, but it was insanely humid and hazy. That could be part of why it was so quiet. There wasn't a soul on Manor as I passed glowing gardens and rustling trees.

The Oaklyn Library wasn't really busy. It was just the librarians and me the entire 40 minutes or so I was there. I shelved and organized the adult DVDs and took a look around the kids' area. Dollar General wasn't any busier. I mainly needed sponges there. Also grabbed a chocolate cheesecake mix, a Bai coconut drink, and my favorite pecan roll to see if my food stamps had been refilled. (They were.)

When I got home, I had a quick lunch, then made the cheesecake....which was really more of a pudding pie. Added cocoa for more chocolate flavor. Did more Scooby while I worked. They head to a skateboarding championship in San Francisco, but "The San Fransycho" makes it more extreme than anyone planned when the ghost of an escaped Alcatraz convict terrorizes the show. The gang joins Fred's friend, real-life skater Ryan Speckler, to figure out what this criminal ghoul is after.

More real-life celebrities of the early 2000's show up in "Simple Plan and the Invisible Madman." Boy band Simple Plan is waylaid at a ghost town after an invisible person attacks their van and the Mystery Machine. The town is populated by some pretty strange characters, including an entrepreneur who want to put the town on the map and the obnoxious know-it-all Gibby Norton, who has a huge crush on Velma (to her general annoyance).

A "Large Dragon Is at Large" when a dragon starts terrorizing a Renaissance fair in Scotland and even kidnaps less-than-amused damsel Velma. The gang has to figure out how to rescue her, and what the former TV show star who plays Lancelot and keeps running to everyone's rescue has to do with it.

Changed the dolls into cooler clothes and bathing suits for mid-summer after the chocolate pie was in the fridge. Whitney, Molly, Samantha, and Jessa all get bathing suits. Molly's thick peach floral suit and Sam's navy jump suit and skirt with white polka-dot trim, black stockings, and white ruffled cap are AG suits for their time periods. Jessa gets the Luau Suit and purple jelly sandles from the modern AG collection. Whitney wears a purple popsickle print Our Generation suit with a ruffle skirt and white Swiss lace Springfield Collecition sandals.  I still haven't found a suit for Ariel. She gets a turquoise and orange tropical fish-print tank top and matching shorts that Lauren sent me with turquoise jelly shoes.

Felicity and Josefina come from eras where bathing wasn't considered lady-like. Felicity wears her purple striped Travel (and later "meet") Gown. Josefina gets her pretty floral-print beige Party Dress with the soft beige moccasins.

Cleaned the bathroom after I finished with the dolls. It wasn't that bad, but it did need to be done. The sink was probably the worst of it - it was pretty grimy. Went back to Scooby Doo while I worked. Scooby and the gang want to help a penguin get home in "Uncle Scooby and Antarctica," but they can't find his family in the ice. What they do find in the ice is a professor who went missing after he was attacked by a fish creature...but the professor and his assistant are more involved with this than the kids think.

It's "New Mexico, Old Monster" when the gang visits a Native American buddy of Shaggy's in order to enter Shaggy's sculpture of Scooby into a contest. A giant hawk seems determined to ruin Shaggy's chances at winning when he first steals the bust, then Daphne. The gang heads up the mesa to see what the bird really wants, dodging an annoyingly obsessed bird watcher on the way.

Did some writing around 4:30. Vader nearly chokes Ahsoka when she makes a couple of sarcastic comments that indicates that she knows more about the Empire than she'll admit. He lets her go, but he's not sure about whose side she's on...

Had leftovers for dinner while returning to Scooby. "It's All Greek to Scooby" is a similar story, only this time, the gang is in Greece, the monster is a centaur, and the fanatic is an aging professor who is obsessed with Greek mythology. Shaggy buys an amulet that may be the curse that unleashed the creature...and may be more important than it looks.

The gang is saying "Go West, Young Scoob" when they head to a Westworld-style wild west theme park. Gunslinging robots fight a heroic sheriff daily on the streets of the town, but the robots seem to have run amok. They join the eccentric creator and the robot sheriff to rustle up these evil-doers and find out who's behind the robots' misbehavior.

Finished the night with Lego Star Wars. It took me three frustrating tries, but I finally completed "Falcon Flight." It's hard to see the blue pieces against the black and gray space and asteroid background or find them hidden around the asteroids. I'm now half-done with the blue-piece challenges for Empire Strikes Back. Let's see how long it takes me to do the other three.

I heard thunder as I was playing. I had barely noticed it clouding over while I was writing. By the time I was on my last go-around with "Falcon Flight," it was windy and the rain was coming down in torrents. It's long gone, but I hope that'll bring down the humidity a bit.

No comments: