Friday, August 30, 2019

Summer Breeze

Kicked off a gorgeous, sunny morning with breakfast and a couple of western and southwestern-themed Disney shorts. Mickey is "The Galloping Gaucho" who drinks and watches Minnie shimmy in a tavern. Big Pete is there too, and he decides he wants Minnie for his own. Mickey's rescue attempt is hampered by his drunk ostrich. "Two-Gun Mickey" is a later black-and-white short. An unusually feisty Minnie is a cowgirl who resists bandit Pete's advances, while cowboy Mickey once again rushes in to save her. "Don Donald" introduces Daisy Duck, under the name Donna. She's a Mexican senorita who isn't impressed with Donald's burro...but the car he buys acts up even more.

Rushed out to get the laundry done as soon as the cartoon ended. I needed clean work clothes. Of course, I ran out so fast, I forgot my laundry detergent. Luckily, I was able to borrow some from another person there. By the time my small load was in the dryer, most everyone had cleared out, and it didn't get busier again until I was on my way out.

I put everything away as quickly as I could, then made my grocery list and had a very fast lunch while watching two more Looney Tunes that took their regulars out west. "Bugs Bunny Rides Again" when he tackles Yosemite Sam to see who'll get out of town first. "Drip Along Daffy" insists that he'll defeat the bandit and "clean up this one-horse town," but it's sidekick Porky who is the real hero.

Headed to work as soon as I could. Thankfully, after all that, work was fine. I spent almost the entire time outside with the carts and doing the trash and recycling. We were crazy-busy early on. By 4 PM, the crowds were gone, and one of the college boys were helping me with the carts. No problems whatsoever. At least it was a gorgeous day to be outside. It was hotter, but still dry, and there was a wonderful breeze blowing down Nicholson Road.

My schedule next week is much better than this week's was. Sunday and next Friday and Saturday off. I do work early on Labor Day, but I didn't really have any plans for that day anyway. (Dad and Jodie are having their party on Sunday.) In fact, I work early pretty much the whole week, and I'm fine with it. Means I'll have time to clean and run errands later in the day.

Did my grocery shopping as soon as I got off work. A lot of good sales or sales-with-online-coupons this weekend, including for the Acme's generic organic fruit spread and Skippy Peanut Butter. Grabbed instant oatmeal, glitter crayons, and fancy mechanical pencils off the clearance racks. I was thrilled to see the Belvita Pumpkin Spice Cookies again after I loved them last year. Restocked white flour, butter, chocolate chips, yogurt, and canned pineapple.

Went home and put everything away as quickly as I could, then actually did a little bit of writing. Harris manages to get Leia into the Falcon before she can get frozen further. Charlie comes out with their luggage. Chewie is busy attacking one of Fettman's boys. He gets Charlie in the back, then lets Chewie in the passenger seat before turning to Maz to tell her they're heading out.

After I got off, I decided I was way too tired to do anything resembling cooking. I strolled down the street to West Clinton and the Final Friday Block Party. On the last Friday of every month during the summer and early fall, Oaklyn holds a big party with food trucks, local businesses advertising in booths, and live musicians. While the food trucks are a nice idea in theory, their wares are far too expensive for someone who has no budget. I ended up joining the 11 and 12-year olds at Phillies Phatties, enjoying a slice of mushroom, a slice of Margarita (mozzarella, tomato, and basil), and a can of Cherry Vanilla Pepsi while the kids chattered and tennis played in the background.

Watched Tiny Toon Adventures while enjoying the Acme's pint almond milk ice cream (peanut butter and cookies flavor). It's "High Toon" when Babs and Buster first mistake a tiny Mexican village for a theme park. After bandits set them straight and pick them clean, they round up a reluctant Plucky and Hamton to make sure the desperadoes don't do worse damage.

Finished the night with a bath. I enjoyed my bath so much on Wednesday, I thought I'd do it again. I read a book on old-time radio and kicked back and relaxed, something I desperately needed after a long week and a longer summer.

No comments: