Sunday, August 04, 2019

Gonna Climb a Mountain

Started off a sunny, hazy morning with chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast, a peach, and finally getting around to listening to Stop the World, I Want To Get Off! Littlechap (Anthony Newley) has great hopes to become filthy rich in the future. The last thing he expects is to start by getting Evie, the daughter of his boss (Anna Quayle), pregnant. She has two girls, which annoys him, as he wanted a boy. He keeps pushing further and further up the ladder, eventually going into politics, but his marriage with Evie is less than perfect. While on business trips, he dallies with a Russian officer, a German maid, and an American nightclub singer (all Quayle), but it's not until he loses his Evie and gives up his life does he understand how much he really loved her all along.

On one hand, this is one of Newley and Leslie Bricusse's best scores, including the standards "Gonna Climb a Mountain," "Comes Once In a Lifetime," and "What Kind of Fool am I?," and Newley and especially the multi-accented Quayle put them over with conviction. Trouble is, the dated and misogynistic story can occasionally make this rough going today, as in "I Want to be Rich" and "Nag! Nag! Nag!" The great music makes it worth checking out once for fans of Newley or musicals with unusual concepts.

Switched to the original Broadway cast of Kiss Me, Kate while reading and puttering around after breakfast. Alfred Drake and Patricia Morrison headline the first version of this musical tale of battling lovers. Her "I Hate Men" is especially ribald; he does best with the more robust "I've Come to Wive It Wealthily In Padua." And yes, this includes the classic opening number, "Another Openin', Another Show."

Did some writing around 1:30, but I had a hard time focusing and kept wandering to other things. After Vader lets Palpatine go, Ahsoka turns up at his office. He's disappointed that her road blocks haven't caught The Jedi Knight (Luke) yet via their roadblocks. She sarcastically points out that he hasn't, either. She needs to figure out exactly what he's doing about the Jedi Knight and report it to Patricia, so she asks a few more quesitons...

Jodie called around 4 and asked me if I was going to come over for a swim. I was already changing, even as I talked to her. It was still hot, humid, and sunny, but not anything out of the ordinary for early August. Jodie and Dad were outside on the pool patio, chatting with Jodie's dad and Dana's sister. Dana had been taking a nap. She joined us later after a nice dip for a barbecue dinner. I had grilled burgers with sliced tomatoes; there were also hot dogs and a massive steak. Took home tomatoes, a burger, and buns after we ate.

Did some Lego Star Wars next. To my frustration, I couldn't get far. Couldn't find the last few blue pieces on "Dagobah" or "Escape From Echo Base," no matter how hard I tried. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

Finished the night by pulling out the boxes with my photos. Several books and sites suggest having photos of  you at different stages of your life out where you can see them, so you can remember who you were then. I thought I'd try it. I only have two frames avalible, and of those, I could only dig out a cute shot of me as a toddler, holding up a rose-print tin of crayons to Mom (who is likely taking the photo). I'll go through the Christmas pictures tomorrow and see what I can find.

No comments: