Thursday, August 22, 2019

One Alone

I tried to sleep in as much as I could this morning, then finished Bryant & May Off the Rails before having breakfast. Watched the first episode of the original 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon while I ate. The guys make "Turtle Tracks" when they rescue reporter April O'Neil from a group of ninjas who have been stealing technologically-advanced equipment. She's surprised to discover the pizza-obsessed walking, talking turtles, and even more so when their formerly human rat guardian reveals that his old enemy Shredder is the one who orchestrated the thefts.

Tried to work on that game show essay for a while. I did manage to write some of it, but, to tell the truth, I'm really bored. I'm bored, and I'm feeling blocked. I've barely done anything all summer. I haven't had the money, or it's been too hot, or my hours were weird. I can't concentrate. I don't know what's wrong with me. Just restless, I guess.

Broke for lunch around 1. I enjoyed Jodie's cucumbers in sour cream so much on Sunday, I thought I'd try my own version with plain yogurt and lemon juice. (I don't like sour cream and don't keep it around.) It didn't come out badly, but I think it'll be even better in a few days. Continued with the Turtles while I ate. The Shredder makes his first appearance in "Enter the Shredder"...and so do BeBop and Rocksteady, dumb goons whom Shredder combines with a rhino and a warthog from the zoo. He sends them after the Turtles, but the guys know how do deal with them.

Headed out for a library run after lunch, beginning with a quick stop at the Oaklyn Library. It was near closing by the time I came in, and between that and a sunny day, they were dead quiet. I organized the DVDs, said hi to the librarian, used the bathroom, and moved on.

It wasn't a bad day for a ride in Newton Lake Park. It was still humid, but a bit less hot than it has been, and that wind continued to whip down the path. I mainly dodged fellow bikers and fisher-folk who didn't mind the wind or mugginess. The sun beat down on the sparkling ripples on the lake and rustled the heavy green leaves on the trees.

The Haddon Township Library was much busier. There were lots of kids around, creating a play in the puppet theater or playing games on the computers. There was lots of things to shelve. I couldn't fit all the kids' DVDs, but I did manage to get most of the adult titles in. This time, I did take out some movies. Wanted to see Aquaman again on the small screen after I enjoyed it in January. I also grabbed the historical fantasy Wonderstruck and The Sound of Music Live for review on my blog this Saturday.

Hurried straight home after I got out, dodging rush hour traffic on Cuthbert and the White Horse Pike. Managed to do a little bit of writing when I got in. Leia goes for Fettman's "family jewels" to get him on the ground. It works...but his buddies break out guns Vader gave them...

Had a scrambled egg with mushroom wrap around 6:30. Did one more Turtles episode while I ate. Shredder has "A Thing for Rats" when he hires scientist Baxter Stockman to mass-produce his rat-catching "Mouser" machines and sends them after Splinter and April. The boys have to not only find Krang and the Technidrome, but save their mentor from Shredder and his mutagen, too.

Moved on to Lego Star Wars after dinner. Managed to get through the very long "Battle of Endor" in two tries, barely getting it on the second, but I'm still having trouble with "Into the Death Star." I get to the room with the reactor and take forever trying to shoot all the guns. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Texed Jessa after a shower. We'd been trying to get together, but missed each other yesterday. We're going to go out for dinner at 6:30 tomorrow.

Finished the night with the 1953 Desert Song remake. I go further into the differences between this and the 1943 version at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

The Desert Song (1953)

And I must add one more to my list of Match Game episodes last night. This is too funny not to mention. Get a load of Richard Dawson and Betty White imitating Brett Somers and Charles Nelson Reilly in this one!

Match Game PM '76 (Richard and Betty do pretty darn good imitations of Brett and Charles)

No comments: