Saturday, August 08, 2026

Come On Down and Match!

I got up so late, I had just enough time to eat and call Uber before going to work. At least that went well. The driver took 8 minutes to arrive in the morning. I got to the Acme just in time. I got off at 5 and had a harder time finding a driver. It took 17 minutes for the driver going home to arrive. No trouble either way.

Today was my 8 hour day. I spent most of it sweeping and gathering carts. The older man was around in the morning, and I showed him how to restock the toilet paper in the men's bathroom. After he left, I was on my own. It wasn't busy in the morning, but it did pick up in the afternoon, to the point where I had a hard time keeping up with the carts. The weather didn't help. It was sunny, humid, and really hot for most of the afternoon...except for around 2 PM, when the clouds gathered. I was pushing carts when it started showering. I even saw a bolt of lightning at one point. Needless to say, I hurried in the store after that!

After I got home, I changed, had dinner, and spent the rest of the night watching tonight's Match Game marathon. Announcer Johnny Olsen was a fixture on Match Game since he announced the 60's version. The sweet, slightly pudgy gentleman in the glasses was as much of a regular as Brett and Charles. The episode in 1974 where Burt Reynolds turned up to visit his friend Charles Nelson Reilly had a joke about what Johnny does to his tongue to prepare for his job. 

There was also a crack in 1975 about him saying his famous line from Price Is Right, "Come on down!" in his sleep to his wife Penelope. Sometimes, Gene would just bring him out to tell him what a wonderful job he was doing. In a syndicated episode, Gene brought him to check a question and make sure he was reading it right. Another time in 1974, he ran down to say "Come on down," only for Gary Burghoff to run down jumping up and down in imitation of a typical Price contestant. In 1979, he heard a question about what it would be very strange for Nipsey Russell to sell on TV.

Come on down and match with one of the great game show announcers in this surprising and sweet marathon!

No comments: