Watched the tail end of Family Feud Canada while making my grocery list, then headed out. My first stop was Dollar Tree. I'm still trying to find charcoal moisture eliminators for my attic rooms. I didn't see them there either, or at Target. I did get a quick Iced Orange Matcha Latte and spinach, tomato, feta, and egg wrap at the Target Starbucks for lunch. They were surprisingly quiet for noon. The kids must have been at the pool or riding around on their bikes.
Did my grocery shopping next, starting at Sprouts. I mainly wanted oat milk and dried mango slices here. Nixie sodas were on sale, and the cream cans had coupons attached with rubber bands. I'd been wanting to try their new strawberry cream flavor anyway. Their bakery chocolate chip cookies had a half-price sticker on them. Italian plums weren't a bad price, and I love the ones the farm market sells. Found shredded rotisserie chicken in a container for meals this week.
Dodged road repair on Cuthbert that blocked the entrance to the auto parts store next to the Westmont Acme. They were slightly busier than Sprouts, and I needed a lot more here. I restocked granola, peanut butter, yogurt, tuna, chick peas, and bagels. Had online coupons for Icelandic yogurt and Popwell soda. Raspberries and small containers of blueberries were on sale for a dollar each. PopCorners weren't on sale, so I grabbed the Acme's generic organic blue corn chips instead. They didn't have Fresca this time, so I grabbed another bottle of Sprite Zero & Tea.
I did cut through Newton Lake Park going home, but I went past the playground and the stone gazebo rather than down the back path (which is still partially being worked on). I could see some of the improvements that had made the park hard to navigate for the last few months. There was a sidewalk that now led from the street to the park path. The park itself is gorgeous, too. All that rain has made it largely emerald green and lush. The trees waved in the breeze on a hot, humid day as children and their parents ran around the new playground equipment.
Watched Remember WENN as I put everything away. Betty and Scott are eager to set up their own gossip show after a popular gossip columnist trumps their soap The Hands of Time in the ratings. Sponsor's wife Dusty Foxx (Rue McClanahan) claims she absolutely wants Hilary to star in her own gossip show...but what she really wants is Hilary off Hands of Time. Hilary is no Rona Barrett. Her gossip is all about her. When that show's canceled, Hilary becomes "The Diva Who Wouldn't Die" as she does everything she can possibly think of for her character Elizabeth to stay away from death's door.
"Behind Every Great Woman" also starts with a joint Scott-Betty idea that goes awry. This time, Betty wants to turn their arts magazine show into a music show featuring Hilary singing the latest hits of Monogram Records. Hilary, however, has stage fright at the last minute, prompting Betty to jump in and sing for her. She does so well, Hilary and Scott insist on her being Hilary's voice permanently. No one is happy about this, least of all Betty...especially when Broadway star Ruth Getty (Donna Murphy, the last of the three Broadway divas who guest-starred on WENN) turns up at the station and wants to sing with Hilary.
Got my schedule at this point, too. In good news, more hours and two days off this time. In bad news, I'm working most of the week again, including another 8 1/2 hour day next Saturday. Either the head bagger is on vacation again, she's finally retiring, or she's doing a lot of cashiering this week.
Spent the rest of the afternoon listening to quieter retellings of popular fairy tales on record. The Peter Pan Alice In Wonderland may be my favorite of their recordings that I have. Alice is hilarious, the characters are funny, and there's some nice songs. I especially like the dreamy title number and "The Queen Has Commanded" as Alice comments on the Queen of Hearts' crazy croquet game. (There's also the nifty book whose art style looks more like "Alice as interpreted by Marvel Comics in the 70's.)
Douglas Fairbanks Jr provides the deep, resonating narration for Beauty and the Beast and Other Stories. Though "Beauty," based on the original Villenveuve French tale, is lovely, the stories on the other side are a bit more interesting. The Norwegian "The Princess On the Glass Hill" is a male Cinderella story that has a put-upon son gaining three different armor from three golden apples that allow him to ride up the title hill and save the royal lass. "The Boy Who Kept a Secret" from Hungary is the most unique of all. A young boy refuses to tell his secret for so long, he's shut up on a tower. The King's daughter takes pity on him and helps him out, but her father isn't as happy about it.
Snow White and Rose Red and The Goose Girl starts with a charming musical retelling of one of my favorite fairy tales. Two sisters rescue a bear from a curse and try to help a fussy, mysterious gnome whose beard keeps getting caught everywhere. Celia Johnson of Brief Encounter narrates The Goose Girl. A servant forces a princess to trade roles with her and insists on her tending the geese. She keeps making the boy who works with her lose his hat, until he gets fed up, tells the prince she was supposed to have married, and convinces her to tell her confession to him behind locked doors.
Switched to Match Game '76 after dinner. Buzzr started with the last episode from the week featuring Bill Cullen and long-time Price Is Right model Janice Pennington. I swear, both the original and later sets of this show have minds of their own. At one point, the turntable with the contestants went the wrong way as it switched around to the Audience Match. Gene had to push it himself to fix it. The rest of the night was devoted to the week with Joey Bishop and soap star Janice Lynde, including Gene giving an eager Lynde her welcome to the show kiss.
Finished the night with Hart to Hart. Jennifer finds herself caught up in a "Highland Fling" when she interviews the elderly head of a Scottish clan, only for the man to supposedly die of a heart attack the next day. The ruthless head of an American corporation is awfully eager to become the head of the clan and get his hand on the crumbling family castle. The head of the Scottish Society nominates Jennifer to take over after it's discovered she might have a Scottish great-aunt. Jonathan smells a Scotch rat, especially after two more people attached to the Highland Games and the nomination for clan leader end up dead.
No comments:
Post a Comment