Sunday, August 02, 2026

Nighttime Matches

Started off a quiet morning with breakfast and records. Dream a Little Dream of Me is actually more of a greatest hits collection, released by Pickwick a few months before Cass's death in 1974. The sweet hit title song is probably the best known number, but she put out a few other good ones. I also thought "Move In a Little Closer, Baby" and her version of the standard "I Can Dream, Can't I?" were lovely.

George Harrison had just as many problems with Somewhere In England. Apparently, Warners thought it wasn't "commercial" enough. The murder of John Lennon during its creation devastated him...but it also resulted in this album's hit and my favorite Harrison solo song, the jaunty tribute "All Those Years Ago." Darker numbers like "Life Itself," "That Which I Have Lost," "Teardrops," and "Writing's On the Wall" also reflect the difficulties Harrison had in the early 80's. 

Headed off to work after Somewhere In England ended. I did get there on time, which was a good thing. We were busy all day. It's the beginning of the month. I had fewer problems when the Sunday morning bagger took the inside work and trash this morning. Turns out the other new bagger had been trained as a cashier and ended up there all day. By 3 PM, the morning bagger went home, and his replacement was the older man who can't push more than 1 to 3 carts at a time. He even complains about having to take a break when he doesn't want to! I had a harder time keeping up with the carts after that. 

The weather didn't help. It was initially sunny, breezy, thickly humid, and very hot, in the upper 80's. Clouds rolled in by the time the older man arrived. It started showering lightly as I rode home. The rain was getting heavier just as I arrived, though I think it's long stopped.

I changed, made a fast dinner, and put on the Match Game YouTube marathon. The nighttime episodes were in the spotlight here with some of their biggest wins, fiercest battles, and most famous episodes. My personal favorite episode of the entire nighttime run was the infamous Admiral __ Audience Match from 1975. Gene bet Richard his answer "Admiral Color TV" wasn't on the board, but...well, Gene learned the hard way that you don't ever bet against Richard in the Audience Match. Brett and especially Betty were really having a great time during that episode too, especially with a question involving what a heavy-breathing caller would say to Betty late at night.

That wasn't the last time Betty had fun in the nighttime shows. In 1976, she and Richard played Charles and Brett when Gene answered the lower tier a question. They had so much fun, they even borrowed their glasses, Brett's "Russian club soda," and Charles' hat and scarf. Richard was probably more accurate than Betty (whose voice was too deep to pull off Charles), but it was still hilarious.

Some later nighttime shows could be blankin' hilarious too. There was the episode in 1979 that started off with Elaine Joyce and Gary Burghoff making out on the bottom tier. Or the one from the week in late 1978 where Jack Klugman and Brett Somers appeared on the show together for the first time since their divorce. There was also the time in 1976 where a lady completely struck out in the Audience Match. Ira was nice enough to let her match the panelists on a question instead. She left with $600 and a smile on her face. Suzanne Sommers objected to the answer "Dumb Bunny" for __ Bunny in the Audience Match on her one nighttime show. Or the one where the panelists on the upper tier saluted a handsome Scottish officer in full parade dress. Bob Barker really loved whispering into Loni Anderson's ear in another 1978 show. 

Bet on the nighttime shows to give you more bang for your TV buck! 

No comments: