Thank heavens that was the worst thing that happened all day. With the Sunday morning bagger around to sweep and do the trash, I was mainly outside pushing carts. It was a gorgeous day for it, too. Humid, yes, but also sunny, breezy, and searingly blue. I did bring back a few cold items inside, but other than that, I was out with the carts enjoying the weather.
I came up with an idea after work. I grabbed a Roar blueberry lemonade hydration drink and two slightly damaged boxes of chocolate fudge pudding mix off the clearance racks for half-off, mainly so I could take out money for the week. From now on, I'll take out $60 during the weekend, and that's what I have for eating out. If I spend it before the end of the week, I don't eat out anymore. I really need to start saving more money for vacation and to buy a condo.
Also, I've had enough condo-hunting when I can't go in them yet. I was going to check out condos in Voorhees, but first of all, that's further out and even more sprawling than Cherry Hill. Second, these walking jaunts tend to be rough on my bad heel. Third, I'm just getting kind of bored with exploring. I'll trade them with checking out libraries until I have a better idea of what kind of condo I can afford and where.
Stopped at the Yummies Palace in Oaklyn for a cool water ice treat after work. Their coconut water ice was deliciously sweet and creamy. It really hit the spot on a fairly hot day. I got to watch parents with two little girls decide what the young ladies wanted as I ate. The lady at the counter let them try their Fruity Pebbles ice cream flavor. The older girl went with a cone of that. Her little sister stuck to a vanilla cone with sprinkles.
Changed when I got home, then spent the next two hours finishing Bayou Book Thief while listening to Batman soundtracks on CD. The 1989 soundtrack was something of a comeback for Prince after his previous album and a concert film were flops. To be honest, most of the songs are more Prince than Batman and weren't in the movie. "Batdance" in the finale was just as big of a hit in 1989 as the movie, but I prefer his less goofy ballad "Scandalous" and the opening dance song "The Future."
I actually think Batman Forever has the better songs. U2's hard rock raver "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me" and Seal's classic R&B ballad "Kiss From a Rose" were massive hits in mid 1995. Other good ones here include "Where are You Now?" by Brandy, "Smash It Up" by the Offspring, and "Bad Days" by the Flaming Lips.
Finished the night after the CDs ended with today's Match Game YouTube marathon. Dancer Bobby Van was a friend of Richard Dawson's who made occasional appearances on the show from 1973 to 1977, with and without his wife Elaine Joyce. In fact, he and Elaine made their debut on the show together, sitting next to each other in 1973. That week is best-known now for the answer to a question about what Batman and Robin's relationship is that now has it banned from the airwaves.
Van would appear in less controversial episodes later on. One 1976 episode had a question about what he does when he can't get his toes to behave. That was also the one where Brett introduces her lovely grown daughter Leslie in the audience. He saw a very happy lady in 1974 win enough money to buy the piano her daughters had requested. Elaine Joyce sat under him in the ingenue seat for the first of two times that week. In 1975 there was Henry, the funny older man with a slight crush on Brett. Also in 1975, Betty White rolled Gene Rayburn's pants legs down to expose argyle socks. Somehow, a lady in the audience ended up with them. Prince Charming Richard put Gene's shoes back on.
Several times he was praised for his work hosting Showoffs, the short-lived 1975 charades game show (that, alas, is mostly lost today). There were also several references to the notoriously bad Lost Horizon, where Van's dances were among the few stand-outs.
Dance your way into the end of summer with these delightful episodes featuring one of the great "Showoffs" of musical film!
No comments:
Post a Comment