Saturday, August 22, 2026

Dress Up Your Matches

Began the morning with breakfast and Bluey. "Zoo" has Bandit playing an ape who runs off with Bingo, with Bluey as the zookeeper and Chili as Bingo's concerned mother. Chili thinks Bandit will hurt her, but Bingo's befriended him and is reluctant to leave him. Chili and Bandit pretend to be "Backpackers," with Bluey, Bingo, and their cousins Muffin and Socks as their backpacks. 

Called Uber after Bluey ended. Alas, I called too late. It took them 13 minutes to arrive, and between that and the driver missing the entrance to the Acme having to do a U-turn, I was late. Thankfully, they only took 8 minutes to arrive going home.

It was showering when I left for work, but the rain stopped shortly after I arrived, and it would be cloudy, humid, and cool for the rest of the day. Good thing Mother Nature cooperated, because I spent almost the entire 8 1/2 hour shift sweeping and doing carts outside. It wasn't bad when I arrived, but it started picking up around noon. I fell behind on the carts after my half-hour lunch. I didn't have any help until 3, by which time the crowds had also started to thin out. The college kid took over the sweeping and doing the trash and helped with the carts. By quarter after 4, we were so quiet, I spent most of the remaining time putting away loose items.

I got home, changed, and spent the rest of the night watching tonight's YouTube Match Game marathon. Comedienne and writer Fannie Flagg started on the show late in 1973. She would be around pretty much for the entire run, but she did many of her most famous episodes between 1974 and 1976. There were the three episodes she spent flirting with handsome gym teacher Ron Valenti in 1975. She was so enamored with him, she danced with him after Richard Dawson helped him win big on the Head-to-Head the second time. In 1974, she was one of the ladies a frisky red-haired contestant kept chasing. Richard and Charles defended the ladies' honor (such as it was). Earlier in the year, she, Abby Dalton, and Brett Somers walked off the set when a lady answered "boobs" for a question. Something similar happened earlier in 1974, but in this case, everyone but Richard walked off after a "boobs" answer. (Fannie ended up flirting with the contestants!)

Fannie loved to dress in costume. At one point in 1976, she was a Girl Scout leader in the uniform of the time. Another time that year, she was Greta Garbo (who had been in retirement for thirty years at that point, and would remain in seclusion until her death in 1990) in a floppy hat, dark glasses, and Swedish accent. She turned up later in 1976 sporting a long red wig and a bad Brooklyn accent that made her look and sound like Maple LaMarsh. Among the decorated t-shirts that showed off her decolletage (which were so joked about on the show, Brett called women's chests "Fannie Flaggs") were one with two fried eggs in strategic places, another with roses, and one made to look like a mail carrier's shirt of the time. 

Dress up for any occasion with the author of Fried Green Tomatoes this weekend in these delightfully southern-fried episodes!

No comments: