Called Uber after that. I was originally going to take the train and bus down to Church Road, but though it was sunny at that point, it was also thickly humid, sticky, and hot. The first driver canceled, but the second only took 4 minutes to arrive. The driver going home took a normal 7 minutes. There was a little traffic in Pennsauken going there and on the highway going home, but nothing horrible.
I told the driver he could drop me off anywhere in King's Croft and spent the next hour or so wandering around the sidewalks there. King's Croft is a huge, sprawling series of townhouses and condos between King's Highway and Church Road. The whole area is surrounded by lots of green fields and trees and gardens. Parents walked their small huskys and sweet-faced bulldogs with their children. I could see a huge pool and tennis courts as I strolled. Everything seemed to be in good shape, not a speck of trash anywhere. The townhouses were well-kept and maintained, and there was nothing but furniture and plant pots on the patios and balconies.
That huge, sprawling layout proved to be a problem. I kept getting lost. It took me forever to find my way back to the map at the King's Highway entrance. Most of the buildings are townhouses, and thus, are much bigger than I need. I only need one or two rooms, not something large enough for families. They're also far more expensive, thanks to all that extra room, and thus have a higher Home Owner's Association fee. There's also the fact that many of the loops lack sidewalks, or sidewalks all the way around. The smaller buildings near Church Road looked like condos, though they were still a bit bigger than something like Playa Del Sol.
I finally turned off at Church Road. There were at least two more condo areas I wanted to check out. Crofton Commons looked like smaller versions of the condo buildings at King's Croft. The buildings at Clusters of Lexington were light brown with angular dark roofs and narrow rectangular strip windows. They were so 70's, I expected to see Charles Nelson Reilly and Brett Somers drinking and exchanging quips by the pool. Trouble was, there were heavy black clouds gathering on the horizon, and I didn't especially want to get caught in storms again. I ended up admiring the condo buildings from the sidewalk, opting to hurry past them and Thomas Paine Elementary School instead.
Just beyond the Robert Mills Apartment Complexes were two small, older-style brick and wood shopping centers. I ducked into Gallo Bakery just in time. I'd barely been there for two minutes when it started pouring buckets. The Gallo Bakery in Cherry Hill is far less lavish than the one in Marlton. It's basically three glass cases filled with cookies, pastries, and cakes and a couple of brass chairs and tables. That was enough for me to enjoy a quiet half-hour nibbling on an apple-filled hamataschen while watching the rain fall heavily and listening to the nice young woman behind the counter take orders. There was even a small rumble of thunder at one point, though I never saw any lightning.
The rain held off long enough for me to duck down to the next shopping center over. They had a Tony Soprano Pizza, smaller than the stand-alone building in Somerdale, but also a bit nicer. I had some trouble using their self-order kiosk, but I finally managed to get a slice of cheese, a slice of tomato-broccoli, and a can of Coke Zero. Enjoyed lunch while listening to a poor old man talk on his cell phone about a car accident to what was likely (I hope) his sympathetic lawyer.
Hurried down the block to a small WaWa after lunch. I grabbed a small toasted coconut pineapple milkshake and a Wild Cherry Pepsi Zero before calling Uber. I timed it well again. The showers had just started again when the driver pulled up in the parking lot.
Soon as I got home, I went straight to bed for a nap. Even though I hadn't done a ton of walking, I was still tired. This has been a busier summer than usual for me! I went down at 3 PM and didn't get up until 5:30.
Watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse after I rolled out of bed. Prince Pete is cranky because he can't get comfortable in his favorite chair. The others help him figure out why his chair is so uncomfortable, so he can get "Prince Pete's Catnap" and finally drift off to dream land.
Moved to Remember WENN next. "Sight Unseen" is the first of three episodes in the series to deal with minority and disability relations in the late 30's and early 40's. Angela Colton (Molly Ringwald) is a blind young woman who wants to meet her favorite character, the Vagabond. "The Vagabond" is played by short, balding character actor Mackie Bloom (Christopher Murney). He has her dance with Jeff to preserve the illusion, but Angela is disappointed. She doesn't care what he looks like, only that his voice is filled with nobility and integrity.
Went straight into Match Game '76 after WENN ended. Most of tonight finished up the week with Elaine Joyce, Fannie Flagg, and Jimmie Walker admiring a pretty lady who made her own lovely clothing. She was gone by the next week with goofy Avery Schriberer and acerbic Jo Ann Pflug.
Finished the night with more WENN. "The Emperor Smith" is George Smith, a black waiter whom Betty recruits to take the role of Lord Branley, Elizabeth's new love interest on The Hands of Time after Mackie gets laryngitis. His deep, resonant voice makes him an absolute sensation. There is one small problem. George is a black man at a time when minorities were still looked down on by most people. Betty has to figure out how to hide him from a particularly persistent reporter without the help of Victor Comstock, who was called away on a top secret mission.
(And note Victor being called away. His top secret work is a major plot point from the later first season onwards.)
No comments:
Post a Comment