Sunday, August 05, 2007

Down And Dirty With the Simpsons

Began cleaning today. I put it off last month because of my knee, and no matter what everyone says, I just can't put it off any longer. The apartment looks terrible; the bathtub and sink in particular were bad, and I was starting to get tiny ants around the crack between the sink and the small counter next to the stove. (In fact, this crack is right above the area under the sink that gave me mouse trouble in the spring.) I ran to the Family Dollar on the White Horse Pike to pick up some Raid before cleaning.

On my way home from Family Dollar, I stopped at the 7-11 for a Slurpee to combat the continuing intense heat. I've been getting their Crystal Light Passionfruit, which actually tastes more like Sour Watermelon than the flavor that claims to be Sour Watermelon and is probably sugar-free.

7-11's in the midst of a huge promotion for The Simpsons Movie. I don't care much about the Simpsons, but even I couldn't resist a promotion this big. As Matt of X-Entertainment mentions in this very breathless article at his site, some stores even converted into an all-Simpsons "Kwik-E-Mart" for the weeks surrounding the opening of the movie. The White Horse Pike store isn't one of them, but they still have a ton of Simpsons merchandise. I even bought a Squishee cup to go with my Superman Returns Slurpee cup from last summer. (It's the green one with Lisa, one of the few characters from the show I sorta like.) I saw a box of Krusty-Os on one half-price shelf, but despite the massive size, the front cover did not look appetizing.

Of all the Simpsons stuff 7-11's peddling this summer, the must-have would probably be the infamous pink-frosted donut. I hate donuts, but I figured today I'd have one anyway, just for history's sake. I like trying weird, unusual, and "limited edition" flavors of regular junk food. I think I'm one of the only people who liked that cinnamon-flavored Holiday Pepsi Spice they did two Christmases ago, and I was also big on Crystal Pepsi in the early 90s. I had to do it. I had to know what a pink frosted Simpsons donut tasted like.

I took a big bike the moment I walked out of the store. I managed to get through almost half of it before coming to the conclusion that, as cool as the Pepto-Bismol pink frosting was, it was TOO FREAKIN' SWEET! Blech. Like eating fifteen thousand pounds of sugar at once. I don't have THAT big of a sweet tooth. I ditched the thing without finishing it and concentrated on my Passionfruit Squishee instead.

No comments: