Friday, August 31, 2007

Early Morning Blues And Greens

Yes, I did my 6AM work today. On one hand, we were busy and low on help - this IS Labor Day Weekend. On the other hand, I got three breaks, one of them a 30-minute lunch, and the time did go fairly quickly. I really wish they'd push the kids harder to actually show up for work on time, though. There were two boys who were supposed to come in for me, and they were BOTH late!

Riding to work this morning was really weird. I haven't worked this early since I opened the Wildwood Acme at 6AM the day after the Fourth of July 2003. I'm not used to coming home from work in the dark and going TO work in the dark.

I spent the rest of the day after work taking a much-needed nap.

I got a lousy schedule next week. While I still have a lot of hours, they're a lot of LONG hours, and there's one 4PM-12AM days. I wish they'd get it through their heads that I really can't work until 12AM. I can't make a car appear out of thin air, and people can't always haul me around.

Now you know why I'm so desperate to leave this job. I don't want to work 6AM to 2:30PM one day, then 4PM to 12AM the next. I want the same 9 to 5 hours every day, every week, every year. I want the same stable hours, stable job, and stable paycheck. I want to be able to use my writing ability and not go crazy while earning a paycheck.

I want to prove I can enjoy my job, and there is a way to both make money and do something you love.

I just wish I could find that way now.

No comments: