Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Have To Believe We Are Magic

I'm amazed. This is probably the first time I've had two good days in a row since my vacation last month.

I made it to volunteering at the thrift shop on time. The store was having sales on some overstocked merchandise (like clothes and frames and pictures), and I spent most of the morning and early afternoon removing empty hangers, sorting clothes and toys, and undoing knots in costume jewelry bracelets and necklaces.

My favorite find today was a basket of old Barbie/fashion doll clothes, some dating back to the 60s and 70s from the many miniskirts and bell bottoms. Diane, the other cashier at the store, told me she'd found an old suitcase in the back room filled with the clothes...and that suitcase had sat in the back room for a year! The outfits and dresses cost a quarter each, and while some weren't in the best of shape, my Sailor Moon dolls now look nice and retro in their summer minidresses, culottes, and poodle skirts.

I also bought a handsome teddy bear from a huge bag of mint-condition bears someone brought in this morning and four more records (Olivia Newton-John, Toto, Air Supply, and songs from Frank Sinatra's earliest films).

I'm glad I've picked up more records lately, because a package was sitting on Miss Ellie's porch when I arrived home. Yes, it was my record player (turns out Carol Wright Gifts' warehouse is in Edison in North Jersey). It works beautifully...and no need to balance the darn thing this time. My only complaint is the arm is plastic, rather than the metal one on the larger console, and it doesn't return automatically after the side's over. I'll just have to be more careful with the arm.

The union meeting I went to the Acme for was no big deal. Some of it I'd already known, thanks to working for the company for six years and the tussle with the Acme over my transfer last year. The girl who did the presentation was young (college-age), well-prepared, passionate about the union, and a wonderful speaker. I only wish we'd had more time (and fewer distractions from dopey teenage boys) to hear her whole speech!

I went over to FYE afterwards. I figured, since I was already in the area and not really tired, I'd see if they still had The Lion King: Special Edition. They did, and since they were having a buy 3, get one half-price sale, I also acquired last year's release of "Star Wars: A New Hope" and "Weekend At Bernie's."

I took a short look at The Lion King set when I came in. While the movie is as much fun as ever, the menus are very poorly designed, and most of the same few featurettes on Disc 2 tend to pop up everywhere...and that Disney merchandising gets VERY annoying here. (And UltimateDisney.com is right - could we have some trailers, please?)

On the other hand, I LOVED "Timon and Puumbaa's Virtual Safari." That was a blast. (Literally at one point in hot molten rock caves.) While both "rides" were fun, I think I prefer the boat ride. Timon has better commentary, and their reactions to the monkeys and crocodiles alone are worth the price of admission (and my reaction nearly scared ME out of a year or two of my life!).

And the Haddon Township Library called this afternoon while I was working on The Monkee Knight. They have accepted my application! They just want me to come in tomorrow or Friday to do some paperwork.

YAY! It's about time! I wonder why they never responded in February? Oh well, at least they are now. I love helping the community, and I spend a ton of time in the library as it is; might as well give back to them.

No comments: