Saturday, August 04, 2007

Market Day

I went to the Collingswood Farm Market today for the first time in over a month. It was even hotter and more humid than yesterday, but I seriously needed to restock my vegetable bin and especially my fruit. I bought blackberries, peaches, radishes, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, blueberries, a cucumber, a zucchini, farm-made blueberry butter, and bananas and plump cherries from a wholesaler. I'm enjoying the fruits my my labor - literally - as I type this. A bowl of glistening blackberries and blueberries topped with luscious Light Cool Whip sits in front of my monitor.

One of the few things I love about summer is the abundance of produce. From May to early November you can buy almost every fruit and veggie under the sun at produce stands and farm markets, often for cheaper than grocery stores sell them, and get them hot off the vine (or even hotter, for people with gardens). The peaches are big enough to play softball with. The berries are the color of jewels and burst with flavor. The plums have so much juice, you could probably get a full bottle from just the two in my kitchen. The tomatoes are ripe and smell warm, like they were in a dryer.

I came home for an hour to cool down and have lunch, then went to work. Work was steady, and there were some fairly obnoxious customers, probably due to this being the beginning of the month coupled with that big dollar sale. Unfortunatly, by the time I'd finished work and rode home, not only was I sweating buckets again, but my knee was really sore. I guess it's not up for two back-and-forth bike trips in one day yet.

No comments: