Sunday, January 11, 2009

"It's A Miracle, A True Green Spectacle...

I spent a quiet morning watching The Pirates of Penzance, calling Mom, and trying to fix my AVG Anti-Virus program. AVG keeps saying the Update Manager is disabled, even though the other virus is gone and everything else is fixed. I removed it and re-downloaded it, and the Update Manager is STILL coming up disabled. Either there's still a virus on my computer, or there's something wrong with the free edition of AVG 8.

I had a nice chat with Mom this morning. She was getting pumped up for the big playoff game between the Eagles and the Giants. We had a long, intense discussion about the economy. We're both worried about it. Mom's afraid the Acme will close down, and she's upset because food prices haven't fallen as fast as gas prices. (Of course, she also lives in Cape May County, which is notoriously more expensive than other parts of New Jersey. Yet another reason I no longer live there.)

I spent the rest of the afternoon at work...which, alas, meant I had to miss the game. On the other hand, work was no problem at all, especially compared to last week. It was steady when I came in around 1:30, stone-cold dead when I got out at 5:30. It was so quiet, I spent the last 45 minutes returning unwanted items to the shelves. The lack of customers was really appreciated after the lunacy last week.

Someone was nice enough to keep the store posted on the score of the game, and I heard a little of it when the Citizen's Bank branch in the store ran it on their radio. The Philadelphia Eagles beat the top-seeded New York Giants 23-11 to go on to play the Arizona Cardinals in the NFC Championship. I have no idea what people will do around here if they go to the Super Bowl, especially after the Phillies won the World Series in October.

It feels nice to be right about things for once in my life. I was right about the snow not sticking around. That less than an inch we got is pretty much gone, and Mom says they only had rain in Cape May County. And I was right about not giving up on the Eagles. You shouldn't quit on a team mid-way through the season.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I was wondering if you were celebrating. On the TONIGHT SHOW, John Melendez and Kevin Eubanks made a bet: if the Giants won Kevin would have to shave his moustache, if the Eagles won John would have to shave his head. So last night we were treated to John getting his head shaved, on stage. Men do the silliest things in relation to sports! I'm so glad James is not a sports fan.