Friday, January 23, 2009

Promise of Spring

I spent most of today inside, working on editing the most recent short stories Lauren and I have written, doing some updating on my computer, and baking. Since I still had a little buttermilk left, I tried one of the cookie recipes in The Betty Crocker Cooky Book that required buttermilk, the Cinnamon Jumbles. Apparently popular in the 1890s, the cookies were simple to make and turned out to be quite tasty little morsels, almost like baked mini-donuts rolled in cinnamon and sugar.

I opened the front door while the cookies were baking to see what the weather was like...and was hit with warmth. It was at least 45 or 50 degrees outside, and sunny as could be. After the last batch of cookies finished, I decided to take advantage of the nice day and make a quick trip to CVS for a few items. I wasn't the only one who was out this afternoon, either. I passed by a couple with young children, two in a stroller, and many kids lingering on corners and curbs, taking advantage of the nice weather to put off going home from the Oaklyn Elementary School on the end of West Clinton Avenue.

When I got home, I worked on getting my bills together and clearing out last year's papers. I made dinner, changed my shirt, and headed to my late work shift, 5-9. Despite my annoyance and worry that it would be a pain, it was actually dead for most of the night. It's supposed to get much colder and windier in the next few days.

Oh, and the last book in my Barnes and Noble gift card order finally arrived. The Melendy kids move into their beloved country home in the second book in the series, The Four Story Mistake. I'm going to miss this crew after I finish this book - I wish there was lots more of them. These stories are so much fun!

No comments: