Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Let There Be Slush

It was a white and gray world that met my eyes when I woke up this morning. There was nothing but snow as far as the eye could see...including on my porch. I wasn't looking forward to going to work. I cheered myself up with some snow-related cartoons, among them two Looney Tunes ("Frigid Hare" and "Putty Tat Trouble,") three Donald Duck cartoons ("Hockey Champ," "Polar Trappers," and the infamous "Donald's Snow Fight") and a Garfield and Friends sequence, "Cabin Fever."

I was hoping the rain really would clear out the snow by the time I went to work at 11AM...but there was a LOT more snow than anyone expected, probably about five or six inches (we were only expecting one or two at the most). The rain only made everything icy and sloppy. I ended up calling Uncle Ken and Dad for a ride. Uncle Ken was slightly late, and I so was I. The regular salt I put on my steps had done nothing but make salty snow, and I had to lower myself down my steps again. Much to my surprise, the Acme's parking lot, which HAD been heavily salted, was in even worse condition. I was slightly late, but we were dead and it really wasn't that big of a deal. It was on-and-off steady for most of the day. (Rather surprisingly, there were few call-outs, and my relief was on time.)

I made a quick run to FYE after that. I've been trying to save my money, but I did want the new 2-disc set for Mary Poppins that supposedly had info on the Broadway show, and I've wanted those new WebKinz. I did pick up Mary Poppins and a WebKinz Groundhog. The kid there suggested the Dragon, but somehow the weather seemed to call for a Groundhog. (And besides, that plump little fellow is just too cute!) Dad eventually picked me up, revealing that yes, Jessa was out of school today. Her Catholic high school has students from all over the Camden County area and closes at the least sight of bad weather. (From what my customers said, most other kids in the area had delayed openings.)

Spent the rest of the evening watching Mary Poppins and making Banana-Dark Chocolate Chip Bread. One of my neighbors finally came over and shoveled the remaining snow/slush on my steps and porch around quarter of five. I'm still glad I worked early. No matter how hard it was to get downstairs this morning, I really don't want to be out there when all that slush turns into ice!

Oh, and meet Phil the Groundhog! Our local weather forecaster is going to move in with Rocky the Squirrel in his Farm Room.

No comments: