Sunday, January 18, 2009

Snow Days and Disappointments

It snowed a little bit this morning, but by the time I finally dragged my rear end out of bed around 9:30, almost every last bit of it was gone. All I saw were puddles. It wasn't quite as cold as it has been, either, probably in the mid-30s. After making Sweet Potato Pancakes and a half of a grapefruit for breakfast, I finally dusted the apartment while listening to the WOGL Beatles show. (The Beatles' Second Album, a US-only 1964 Capitol release, was in the spotlight today.) I started putting the general Winter decorations out, but I just ran out of time. I'll finish them tomorrow.

I also had the chance to call Mom. She was doing laundry, working on getting her chores done before the big Eagles game. She had the house to herself. Dad was out fishing and Keefe was babysitting at my sister Anny's house in North Wildwood. She happily talked about how much my new baby nephew Collyn is growing. He's gotten to be a big, plump baby, with short arms and legs like his father and grandfather. Skylar's getting tall, too. He's very tall for his age - looks more like six than four. Mom says he probably gets that from HIS father, who is in the military.

Work wasn't much fun. It was somewhat steady early on, stone-cold dead when I left. The news wasn't good - the Eagles were losing by the end of the first half, and though they would come back in the second, the Arizona Cardinals got one last touchdown and finally won 32-25. I'm proud of the Eagles for making it as far as they did at all (they just barely made the playoffs), I know a lot of people around here are heavily critical of the Eagles and will start braying about how they knew they were gonna lose and what losers they are and oh, they shouldn't have been in the playoffs at all and they got easy wins. Yeah, it was so easy, they picked off the NFL's top-seeded team, the New York Giants, last week. Cut them a break, you morons. A bunch of drunk dorks were already starting in as I was leaving for home. Work was so dead by that point, I spent the last half-hour doing returns.

I am NOT looking forward to work tomorrow. I really don't want to hear more idiots who jumped on the bandwagon last week and are now doing nothing but criticizing.

No comments: