Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dinner With My Father

First of all, Happy Father's Day to all dads, including those whose "children" are four-legged.

It wasn't sunny when I finally woke up around quarter of 10, but it wasn't raining either, which was a good sign. I finished reading An Incomplete Revenge (good thing, too - it's due on Tuesday), wrote in my off-line journal, and listening to the Beatles Show. ("Past Masters" - songs that never made it to the Beatles' British albums - was the theme today.)

Had Oatmeal-Buttermilk Pancakes with homemade Fresh Summer Berry Syrup for breakfast, then called Dad in Erma to wish him a Happy Father's Day and talked to Mom. My sister Anny had to work today, so they were keeping an eye on Skylar and Colin.

Work was nuts when I came in. There was a line half-way across the front end for the Express Lane for a while, and it was even longer when the Express Lane checker was 15 minutes late. By the time 5 o'clock rolled around, it had slowed enough for me to leave with no problems.

I changed, frosted the Gold Cupcakes I'd baked for Dad with Light Cool Whip, and headed for Dad and Uncle Ken's house. Jessa had come by work earlier to buy pasta for herself for dinner and told me Dad and Jodie were out visiting Jodie's dad. I didn't expect them to be home, and they weren't. I said "hi" to Uncle Ken, who was watching a movie and resting, and left the cupcakes and a card for Dad in the kitchen.

I was sweeping the porch about 20 minutes later when I got a phone call. It was Dad. He and Jodie had almost literally just missed me. They really appreciated the cupcakes and card. Did I want to go out to dinner at the Oaklyn Manor Bar with them? Sure!

The sun was out in full force when we sat on the Manor's lovely veranda and outdoor bar and dining area. The veranda has a great view of West Clinton Avenue and Manor Avenue and attractive landscaping. Jodie had a hankering for pork roll. Dad had a small burger. I opted for my favorite Chicken Cheese Steak with fried onions. We shared a plate of cheese fries (with real cheese, none of that Cheez Whiz gunk). We talked about old times. Jessa came in as Jodie was sipping her second drink and had an iced tea. She wanted to ask Dad if he minded if she went to the Tuesday midnight showing of the new "Transformers" movie. (He did, but she talked him into letting her go anyway.) She ended up driving me home.

No comments: