Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Sunshine On a Rainy Day

I slept in and spent the morning doing my laundry and reading. It was really rather quiet. Dad had gone to Cape May with his old friends. Jessa was visiting friends of her own. Uncle Ken and Dolores were around for a while, but they eventually went out to run errands.

It was such a lovely day, breezy and bright and warm, that I went for a walk while the clothes were in the dryer. It was just a quick one up to the Oaklyn Library and around the neighborhood. It felt so nice and summery, a little humid but not too bad.

After I got in from doing the laundry, I put my clothes away, changed into sneakers, grabbed my purse, and headed out for my other errand of the day. It was fairly late - around 2:30 - by the time I finally made it to the Haddon Township Library for this week's volunteering session. I did exactly what I did last week - shelved stacks and stacks of DVDs. Walked out with two interesting DVDs I wanted to see (the fantasy film Stardust and the classic crime caper The Asphalt Jungle), a cookbook on cupcakes, and the novelization of the first X-Men movie.

As I was poking around the science fiction/fantasy section around quarter of 4, I heard an ominous rumble. Turning to look out the fire escape door, I saw dark clouds rushing over the Library and the mall across the street. It rained pretty good...but not for very long. I finally made it out around 4:30. The streets were still wet, but the sun was peeking out of the heavy clouds. Unfortunately, it was also hotter and more humid than it had been earlier.

I made quick stops at Super Fresh (checking tea prices) and Dollar Tree (needed sponges), then just rode home across the park. I spent what remained of the day at home, watching black and white Mickey Mouse cartoons and eating leftovers for dinner.

No comments: