Saturday, June 20, 2009

Washed Out

Headed out to the bank and the Farm Market first thing this morning to beat the crowds and the heavy storm clouds. I ended up avoiding neither. There was a line for strawberries and cherries when I arrived at in Collingswood; I bought them last. I needed a lot today, or I might have skipped the Farm Market all together. I waded through the huge Father's Day Weekend crowds to buy carrots, bananas, radishes, spinach, cool red onions with the tops still on (to replace the stringy-looking leeks), zucchini, and the first New Jersey blueberries and cucumbers of the season. Also picked up blueberry butter and two peanut butter cookies for a snack.

It started to rain lightly by the time I arrived at the Farm Market...but the rain picked up as I made my way around people and dogs. It was annoying, but it did it's job. When I returned to the first tables with the cherries and strawberries, the line was gone and I was able to buy my fruit in peace.

I was hoping the rain would let up, but that wasn't to be. I waited twice, once at the Farm Market and once under a tree, but the steady shower continued. I just rode home and got soaked.

Spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon watching Rear Window and figuring out where to put all my new fruit and veggie finds. This is another James Stewart/Alfred Hitchcock movie from the 50s. It's not the mind-blower that Vertigo is, and it's been stolen from and spoofed endlessly, but I still enjoyed it. A photographer stuck in a wheelchair with a broken leg spends his time watching his neighbors in his apartment neighborhood...and finally decides one of them killed their invalid wife when she mysteriously goes missing. Lots of tension here, and despite the premise it doesn't feel claustrophobic. It's essentially a three-person show, and Stewart is joined by two of the coolest ladies of the 1950s, future queen Grace Kelly and the hilarious Thelma Ritter.

It was still raining by around 1PM, not hard, but enough that I called Dad for a ride to work. After my wet ride, I didn't trust Mother Nature. And of course, by the time I got out of work, the sun was out. Work was steady to busy today, with no major problems.

No comments: