Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dreaming

Started today with laundry. It was pretty quiet at Dad and Uncle Ken's. Dad had to go get a new Mac laptop. He'd accidentally spilled coffee on the laptop he uses every day and wrecked the battery, which he wasn't happy about. He's on that thing constantly. Uncle Ken and Dolores were in and out all morning, running errands.

I finished Crazy Little Thing Called Death, then ran to the Oaklyn Library after the laundry was in the dryer. It was quiet there, too. I mostly just organized the kids' books, but I stopped early to look for books of crochet patterns. I could only find one from the 70s, but it featured a very familiar afghan pattern. Mom made the Color Wheel afghan - squares featuring multi-colored circles on a black background - in the mid-80s, and it was on our living room couch for years. She always claimed she was going to add more squares to it someday, and I did see some additional squares in her work room, but I don't know if she ever did.

There wasn't nearly as much laundry today as there has been in previous weeks, and I got it started a bit earlier than usual. I was home by 12:30. I put the laundry away, had lunch, and went back out again, this time heading to Westmont and the Haddon Township Library.

Haddon Township was a bit busier than the Oaklyn Library had been. I mostly returned adult and kids' DVDs. Once again, I stopped a bit early to be able to take out a few items. I found two books with supposedly easy crocheting instructions, the next Blackbird Sisters novel Murder Melts In Your Mouth, and two more DVDs, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town and the 2008 Incredible Hulk.

Next stopped at JoAnn's to check out their crocheting section. I bought plastic hooks - I really couldn't afford the metal or bamboo ones - and two skeins of yarn that were on sale. I also bought a cute Wilton cookie cutter in the shape of a house that I thought was on sale, but turned out to not be. I still took it, since I thought it was different. Also made a very quick stop at Super Fresh for jam, but they were out of the sale item.

My cookie jar was empty, so I made that Prevention Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe after I got home. After the cookies finished baking, I thought I'd try crocheting...but it didn't go well at ALL. I couldn't understand anything in the directions. I couldn't even make a beginning loop right, and forget the foundation stitch. I couldn't figure out the under-over-twist thing. I'm just not coordinated enough for crafts. Those were supposed to be simple directions. I get all these big, huge, wonderful ideas on how oh, I'll be able to do so many things and make so many things...and it always comes crashing down when the reality reveals I can't do it after all. I'll try again Thursday after counseling.

At least dinner went well - roasted broccoli and cauliflower, romaine salad with Asian dressing, pan-fried cube steak in red wine and Worcestershire sauce, and brown rice with mushrooms.

No comments: