Sunday, January 03, 2010

The Harder They Fall...

Started the day with Banana Whole Wheat Pancakes and a call to Mom. She was fine. She was in a very good mood. She didn't really do much for New Year's besides watch football, and apparently neither did anyone else in Cape May County.

I left for work shortly after getting off with Mom. Riding to work was not easy. It was even windier than yesterday, and bitterly cold, especially on the treeless White Horse Pike. I didn't think I'd be able to get a ride, though. I figured everyone would be busy with parties.

Work wasn't too busy when I came in at 11, but it started picking up by 12:30. By the time I finally went on my break at 1:30, the lines were snaking across the store. We didn't even lack help. It was just that busy. Not only is it still the beginning of the month, but people are stocking up for football and hockey parties and just restocking their shelves after the holidays and all the relatives go home.

For once, not only did I have a relief, but I had my choice of them - there were two boys coming in at 3. The taller boy took over promptly at 3, but I wasn't done yet. I still needed buttermilk, peanut butter, and contact lens solution, and the lines were still long. I didn't get out until quarter after 3.

When I did get home, I got the Chocolate Banana Mousse Pie together, grabbed a sweater, and headed out to Uncle Ken and Dad's. (I made the mistake of just going to work in my Eagles t-shirt and froze my rear off in the express line...which is the closest to the constantly opening exit.)

There were plenty of people there when I arrived - Dad, Jodie, Uncle Ken, Dolores, Jessa, Samantha and David and their kids, Dolores' grandchildren Blake and Mercedes, and a couple of Uncle Ken's neighborhood buddies. Lots of good food, too - cheese and crackers, Uncle Ken's cheese steaks with fried onions, chocolate chip cookies, brownies, and bananas and strawberries to dip into melted chocolate.

I'm glad the food was good...because the game was AWFUL. The Eagles barely played at all and lost to Dallas 24-0. I finally caught a ride home with Jessa early in the second half, shortly after Sam and David and their crew left. I figured a good, hot shower and some online time would be a lot more fun.

No comments: