Thursday, January 14, 2010

Improved Balance

Started a lovely January day with a fairly full yoga class. There were 13 students, not counting the teacher Karin and two student teachers who were just taking notes. We did a lot of back stretching and head and shoulder stands today. For the first time ever, I actually managed to get my legs onto the wall and go most of the way up! I still can't do an actual handstand, but that's definitely better. In fact, I did it twice, once on my own, and once when we did hand stands with a partner. (My partner could do an actual handstand, but not for very long, and the woman next to me couldn't really do one at all.)

I wasn't originally going to go to the thrift shop for very long. I just wanted to say "hi" to my friend Erica...until I saw a collection of what looked like mint-condition Effanbee dolls in the window. I've collected Effanbee dolls since the mid-80s, when I was little and would actually play with them. That more-or-less ended by the early 90s. I got rid of a few of the older ones when I moved from Wildwood, but I still have most of the dolls that were in good shape.

Of the dolls in the window, my favorite was a pretty miss in a pink rosebud-print ruffled dress with ribbon trim, lacy pantalettes, and a cute ruffled hat. I ended up buying her for ten dollars, along with the Rupert Holmes mystery Swing! in hardback and two paperback kids' books, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator and Paddington at Large.

Next stop was the Collingswood Library a block down the street. This time, the librarian in charge of the volunteers was there. I spent an hour organizing the T through Z shelves.

Went straight home after finishing. I wanted to have lunch and look up information on my new doll find. She was in mint condition, but came with no box or tag. I found out on eBay that she's supposed to be Little Bo Peep, but is missing her shepherd's crook.

Had some nice rides today, too. The weather was absolutely gorgeous for this time of year, mid-30s, sunny, and windless. I managed to navigate around the thick ice patches on the bottom of Goff Avenue easily this time.

Work was dead for most of the night. It was steady during the usual 4-6 rush hour, but I ended up spending a lot of the night cleaning my register out of sheer boredom.

No comments: