Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Not a Fashionata

Spent the morning at work. We were actually pretty busy between noon and about 2:30, enough to call stockers for help, but other than that, it was dead. The only thing I don't like about morning work is getting a lot of obnoxious older people who demand you do this, that, and the other thing, and can never seem to be satisfied. You'll bag one way, and they'll want it another. You keep the bags light...and they just fill them, because there's too many! Other than that, and my relief was called in early, there were no real problems.

I ran to Fashion Bug behind the Acme after work. I can't get through the week with only one pair of work pants. I wasn't crazy about most of the spring fashions there at all. On one hand, I'm glad to see the disappearance of too-big psychedelic prints and huge bell bottoms. This is not 1969. (As I told Mom last week, just because I listen to the Beatles and the Monkees doesn't mean I want to DRESS like them.) Some of the layered tops with normal v-necks were actually cute.

On the other hand, I'd also like to see the disappearance of gypsy blouses, ruffles anywhere but on skirts, waiters, and Carmen Miranda, empire waists, oversized buttons, and gathers on necklines. None of this looks particularly good; at lot of it looks dumb and wastes fabric. Not everyone has no bust and can go around sporting gathers and buttons the size of small dinner plates.

I did finally buy a simple pair of khaki work pants (with a good metal zipper), and a white bra like the tan front-clasp bra I bought in the fall. The white lace bra I picked up last month was itchy, tended to ride up in the front, and never really fit right. I wanted to pick up a white front-clasp bra last month, but they were out of them at the time. I made a very brief stop at FYE after Fashion Bug, but I didn't see anything I wanted, so I just went home.

When I got in, I did something I've been meaning to do for a long time. I finally went through my stuffed animal collection and cleared out some of the many WebKinz I've accumulated. I really don't need to keep 80 stuffed animals. I'm getting rid of about 20, which means I still have a lot, but not as many as before. Anything that I don't love or have doubles for is going to go. I have them all online, anyway. I also cleared out a few cassettes and books, but I'm generally better about thinning out stuff that I don't want than I used to be.

No comments: