Thursday, January 07, 2010

More Snow On the Way

Today was my early work day. While it wasn't bad when I came in, by noon, the store was buzzing. Apparently, we were supposed to get snow again. This would have been a lot more scary if someone hadn't told me the weather reports were calling for 1-3 inches. It'll probably end up being the same kind of storm we got last week. We'll get a few inches that are around for a day, or maybe two, and then will disappear.

Thanks to the weather reports, we had a lot of panic-y old people who were demanding and just plain rude. This fussing over the weather made more sense in Cape May County, where a lot of people really do live more than 10 or 20 minutes from a grocery store. Here, most people are at least five minutes from a grocery store, and few are any more than 10. Even if we get snowed in, it's not likely people wouldn't be able to get the essentials. (And it's not like where my friends Linda and James Young live in Georgia, either. We do get some snow in January.)

Thankfully, it had slowed down enough by the time I finished work that I was even able to shut down a little early and put a few things away. Good thing, too; I had no relief. I went straight home. It was a nice ride, the nicest I've had in a while. Today was sunny, and while it was still a little windy, it wasn't as bad as it has been this week. Wasn't as cold, either. It was probably in the mid-30s, normal for early January in Southern New Jersey.

There was a package waiting for me when I got home. Lauren sent me the two seasons of the Alton Brown mini-series Feasting on Asphault, about his cross-country motorcycle tours. I'll check the second one, which I haven't seen, out this weekend after I finish Get Smart.

Speaking of Get Smart, while the last batch of episodes weren't all-time greats, some of them were kind of fun. I liked the one with The Patty Duke Show's William Schallert as a killer called "The Exterminator." They got a lot of mileage out of mild-mannered criminals on this show. One of the villains of the episodes where 99 has her babies is "Simon the Likeable," played by baby-faced comedian Jack Gilford, a killer so sweet-seeming, everyone automatically assumes his innocent.

No comments: