Friday, May 20, 2011

Balance In the Rain

It was actually quite sunny when I dashed out this morning, almost late for this week's yoga class. Micki concentrated on hamstring and knee stretches. Some of those stretches were actually a bit too much for my bad left knee, which isn't a big fan of this damp weather.

The clouds were returning again when I walked over to the Collingswood Library. I filed and shelved DVDs and straightened them, including the blasted children's section. When kids came out of this week's Storybook Hour, I helped them choose DVDs. One adorable little pig-tailed lass didn't know what she wanted; she chose The Last Unicorn after I pointed it out to her.

I left the library earlier than usual. I stopped at WaWa for a Roast Beef Ciabatta Melt Hoagie, milk, a pretzel, and water. When I walked out, it was beginning to shower rather hard. I didn't feel like waiting around, so I just rode home and got wet. It started slowing down by the time I got home, of course.

A surprise on my porch when I arrived lifted my mood. The Seuss Celebration DVD I ordered from Barnes and Noble had arrived! I put it on while I ate my hoagie for lunch and did some crocheting.

Of the seven Seuss specials on the DVD, there was only one I'd never seen before. Pontoffel Pock & His Magic Piano is the very strange story of a clumsy young man (a "schnook" by his own admittance) who wishes to get away from it all - from his decaying family home and the job in the pickle factory he was just fired from. A fairy gives him his wish - a magic piano that can transport him anywhere. Pock is chased out of the Austrian-like Goron when he shows off too much and upsets its citizens...and he nearly gets killed when he falls for an "eye dancer" (belly dancer) in an Arabian-like city! Very, very odd special, even by Seuss-ian standards.

A better lesser-known Seuss cartoon is The Hoober-Bloob Highway. This is a far simpler tale than Pock and his flying piano. In fact, it's rather hard to describe. A man and his anamorphic mandolin are in charge of sending babies down to Earth, and they spend the cartoon teaching their newest charge all the joys and sorrows of being human. Weird, yes...but sweet and endearing as well, a wonderful celebration of what makes us a person.

I headed for work shortly after I finished Dr. Seuss On the Loose. It was still raining a little when I left, but nothing like before. When I arrived at work, the rain was down to spitting. It showered again during the afternoon, but I don't think it has since.

Between the weather and many events going on this weekend (barbecues, graduation parties, birthday parties), the Acme was busy all day. This is also the beginning of that big giveaway promotion. The promotion, to put it bluntly, isn't working. The "bonus" items that people buy to earn more game pieces don't always show up on the bottom of the receipt like they should. I hope this is just a glitch that's fixed by tomorrow or next week.

I didn't need a whole lot after work. As with last week, I'm going to try to get to the farm market early tomorrow. I picked up chicken legs on sale, dark brown sugar, whole wheat flour, Acme's generic Life-type cereal, peanut butter, soft taco tortillas, deodorant, and two more of those containers of chocolate chips. Nestle marketed them as toppers for cakes and ice cream...but they work even better as mini chips to be added to breads, pancakes, and cookies.

My schedule next week is a bit better, too. Same two days off (Monday and Tuesday), and roughly the same amount of hours, but they're later. This includes Saturday - I won't have to rush next week.

No comments: