Friday, May 06, 2011

Enjoying the Spring

Mother Nature is finally behaving here in South Jersey. While it was still windy today, it wasn't anywhere near as cold. The sun was a ball of gold in a bright blue sky. Fat white-gray clouds drifted lazily by the occasional jet taking off from Philadelphia International Airport.

I started this gorgeous day by sleeping in and reading in bed, something I haven't done in ages. When I finally did get moving, my first stop was the Acme. I needed my paycheck, schedule, and to do some grocery shopping. I picked up ground chicken and lamb chops, brown sugar, yogurt, oats, and I was almost out of cooking spray.

My schedule was...a problem. On one hand, three days off will allow me to get a lot of things done, including more spring cleaning. On the other hand...I only work four days and 20 hours, including an early Saturday. That means I'll either have to go to the Farm Market really early next week or skip it.

I went straight home after leaving the Acme. After I put everything away, I headed right back out. It was too nice of a day for being inside.

Spent the rest of the afternoon running errands and roaming around Oaklyn and Audubon. I did this week's volunteering at the Oaklyn Library. They were closing in a half-hour when I arrived. I did get organizing the DVDs in and took a quick look at the children's books.

Went to the bank next. I wasn't as fast there as I would have liked; their computers were down. Even when I did give them my money, it couldn't actually go through until tomorrow.

It was the perfect day for a ramble around Audubon. I rode over the bridge and down to Pine Street and Simply Soups for lunch. The cup of White Bean and Escarole Soup I had was tasty - a creamy soup with escarole, white beans, and huge pieces of mushroom topped with Parmesan cheese. I also had breadsticks and a can of "Diet White Birch Beer" from "Weis" (Wegman's?).

My luck on that trip ended there. Willie the Woodsman and Wife no longer carries the newest WebKinz - I badly want the adorable new Grizzly Bear. I didn't see anything I liked at Act Two Collectibles (which was finally open). I did get a CD of old-time movie and pop singers at Abbie Road, but didn't see anything else I liked. And I did pick up a sweet and soft coconut macaroon at Desserts By Design.

I went back to the apartment after leaving Desserts By Design. Worked on a Strawberry Chiffon Cake while watching TV show episodes. I watched an episode of Psych this morning that dealt with a comic book convention. Gus is a huge comics book fan and is really into it. Shawn isn't, but goes along with it anyway. Turns out a local teenager who moonlights as a blogger who gives nasty reviews to comic-book oriented movies bought his way into the convention. The question is...where did the money come from, and where is the kid now?

Comic book conventions may be big deals now, but as one of the less-strange Wonder Woman episodes of the third season reminded us, they've been around for a while. Diana Prince investigates the theft of some top-secret laser crystals in the LA area. She's not thrilled to find herself booked into the same hotel as a comic book convention. It turns out to be a great cover for a sneaky thief who desperately wants to recover those crystals and sell them to a well-known businessman. Can Wonder Woman stop the show...and the crystals from falling into the wrong hands?

No comments: