Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Naughty, Naughty Internet

I slept in again. There didn't seem to be much else to do. Unlike yesterday, the gray skies said "rain." It did rain this morning...but the showers had taken a temporary reprieve by the time I finished breakfast. I took it as a sign that it was a good time to head to the Oaklyn Library for this week's volunteer session there.

The children's area was busy and messy when I arrived. A man in a t-shirt was sawing part of an old set of shelves. Apparently, the library was having it's back room/lounge/office redone. There were too many tools and pieces of wood and junk laying around for me to get into the children's area. I concentrated on the DVDs instead. Someone had realized that there are too many adult DVDs to separate by letter. I just organized the titles and pulled TV sets to put on the top shelf. Pulled TV show sets and teen-oriented movies from the kids' section and gave them their own showcases.

Went for a walk after I left the library. I bought a small Pomegranate-Passionfruit Icee and a pretzel at WaWa, then strolled around the neighborhood. Sometime during that stroll, it started to shower rather heavily. And then...it stopped. And started again. It was stopping by the time I got home, but I'd had enough of playing games with Mother Nature. I stayed at the apartment for the rest of the day.

It was not a wonderful afternoon. On one hand, Naughty Marietta and Sweethearts finally arrived in the mail. I ran Marietta this evening, and it looks and sounds quite good. Certainly better than my old video. This tale of a French princess in the 1700s who flees to New Orleans to escape an arranged marriage and falls for a rugged solider is my second-favorite MacDonald/Eddy movie after Maytime.

On the other hand, the Internet went down for an hour and a half between about 3:30 and 5...when I planned to look up how to start an at-home business and the prices of major internet providers in my area, of course. I eventually called Verizon. They claimed there was yet another outtage and it would take 24 hours to fix...and the Internet went back up about 20 minutes later and hasn't gone down since.

While I was waiting for the Internet to go back up, I swept the porch again. The piles of small, thin "fuzzies" had been replaced by long, thick pale green ones. They were especially bad under the tree in front of my bedroom windows.

Oh, and I went ahead and ordered the Seuss Celebration DVD with the last of my Barnes and Noble gift card. The audio is starting to sound fuzzy on the end of the Cat and the Hat tape I picked up a few months ago. The Seuss Celebration DVDs features the Dr. Seuss TV specials of the 70s owned by Universal - ie Cat in the Hat, Pontoffel Pock, The Lorax, On the Loose, The Grinch Grinches the Cat In Hat, Grinch Night, and a lesser-known favorite of mine, The Hoober-Bloob Highway.

(If you're wondering where How the Grinch Stole Christmas is, that, Daisy-Head Maisie, and The Butter Battle Book are owned by Warners.)

Oh, I also did some baking today. I made Oatmeal Bread and Coconut Macaroons. Both came out rather well, though I wish the macaroons made more.

No comments: