Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Overwhelmed

I spent most of a slightly cooler morning continuing the spring cleaning. I slept late again, which really only left me time to scrub the bathroom and hall floors. That was enough. They both needed it badly. I usually do them in April, but I thought I'd put them off until closer to Lauren's visit (a month from yesterday, by the way). The "hall" is a rectangle of tan linoleum that separates the living room from the bedroom, with the bathroom in between. The door on the other side leads to Miss Ellie's apartment and activates her security system (which is why there's a sign that says "Do Not Open" taped to it).

After I finished with the floors, I went for a quick walk. It was humid and warm, but not quite as warm as yesterday. In fact, it was absolutely gorgeous. It wasn't supposed to be gorgeous this week. It was supposed to be stormy again. Pfft. Please. I saw a few fat clouds, but nothing that would cause any damage. It wasn't even that windy.

The beautiful weather turned out to be a problem when I got to work. We were severely short on help...and it was busy on and off all night. There were three or four call-outs. I stayed until 8. (They asked me to stay until 9, but I didn't want to push going home in the dark.) My legs hurt so bad. Why don't they call me in this often in July, when I need the hours?

And of course, the internet went down for an hour between 9 and 10. I have the feeling it gets overloaded in April and May and September and early October...when the most people are in the area. Many people in Camden County and Philadelphia go on vacation in the winter or the summer, but are around at other times. Spring and fall is when the college and high school students are at their peak internet usage, too.

I'm just feeling overwhelmed too, I guess. I keep trying to tell myself that I have to like the Acme job, because as everyone reminds me, there's no way to get another job that anyone will pay me for. I think that's a load of sour grapes. I just haven't created the right job for myself.

No comments: