Saturday, May 21, 2011

Eve of Destruction?

For a day that was supposedly the end of the world, it sure started out gorgeous. The sky was the bluest blue imaginable and the birds were chirping merrily as I awoke this morning. Sunshine poured through my windows. It was the most sun I'd seen in over a week.

I didn't even wait for the American Top 40 to end before heading out. I wanted to get to the Collingswood Farm Market before work. Leaving early did give me the chance to make a quick stop at two yard sales. One had some good records, but they were asking too much money. The other just had baby items and clothes; nothing for me.

The farm market was nuts today! As with last week, there's tons of events going on. In addition to graduation parties, there's communion, barbecues, and lots of birthday parties! Despite the lines, I did manage to pick up sharp cheddar cheese from the dairy booth, honey from the honey seller, strawberries, asparagus, organic arugula, mint, and scallions, and grapefruit, oranges, bananas, and kiwi from the wholesaler.

As I did last week, I went straight home, put everything away, changed into my uniform, packed lunch and a snack, and went right back out to work. It was still really nice when I rode over to the Acme, though there were now a few heavy clouds in the horizon.

The Acme was just as busy as the farm market. Even with many registers open, there were long lines all day. They actually asked me to stay an hour - there were call outs - but by 5:30, I was dead tired. I wanted dinner and to finish today's errands.

I ended up having dinner at Sonic's. I'm a bit annoyed with them. I ordered a Grilled Chicken Sandwich. They gave me the breaded chicken sandwich, with bacon that was so overcooked it was tougher than beef jerky, this funny-looking orange cheese, on thick slices of toasted white bread. I ate it because I was hungry, but from now on, I stick to the chicken wrap when I eat there.

I rode home around 6PM. Nothing happened. It was windier, certainly, and the clouds were getting heavier. Not a single other thing was out of the ordinary. When I arrived at the apartment, I changed again, grabbed my purse, and ducked out to head to the bank...then ducked back in to get an umbrella. The clouds had burst.

It was a rather nice little shower. It looked pretty, glistening on the rose petals, and smelled fresh and clean, like clothes just out of the dryer. I strolled in the rain, holding my orange umbrella with the pointy top. I made my first Leo's Yum-Yum stop of the year and bought a Lime-Vanilla Yum Yum (a creamier water ice). It was ok, but there was too much vanilla and not enough lime. Maybe I'll try the rainbow or orange vanilla next time.

I ate my dessert under the roof overhang of Doria's Deli (which closes at 6PM, so I had their stoop to myself). I finished just as the rain slowed to a stop. I walked the rest of the way to the bank and back as the clouds tried to break up again.

Watched Halloween Is Grinch Night and did some crocheting when I came in. I think I'd only seen bits and pieces of this one. The Whos down in Whoville of terrified of what happens when the Grinch goes on the prowl during a "sour, sweet wind." When Eukeriah is accidentally blown away from his grandparents' home, he takes it on himself to stop the Grinch, before he spooks the whole town!

As with Pontoffel Pock, this one got a little too weird for its own good. For all the fuss about the Grinch's scare tactics, the series of psychedelic, Technicolor images he uses to scare Eukeriah are more bizarre than spooky. No wonder the kid isn't scared when that "sour sweet wind" dies down.

No comments: