Sunday, May 22, 2011

Wish I Could Sweep Those Clouds Away

It was cloudy and surprisingly cold when I got up this morning around 9:30. I thought it was supposed to be getting into the 80s this week. It remained chilly as I made Whole Wheat Pancakes for breakfast and put on Brunch With the Beatles. "Questions and Answers" was the theme today - ie, Beatles and solo songs that ask questions. They include "If I Fell," "The Ballad of John and Yoko," "When I'm Sixty-Four," "Help!," "Piggies," and "What Is Life?"

I tried calling Mom, but I didn't talk with her for very long. My nephew Skylar was visiting. She was on just long enough to say that they were having in-and-out sun before Skylar requested a walk.

I spent the next hour and a half editing the first part of one of several Bowery Boys stories we've done in the past few months. This one is about Duke Coveletske encountering his exact double...and having to rescue him, with the others' help, when he's kidnapped. Look for it and more in the coming months!

Work was a total madhouse when I finally made it there today. We weren't even short on help this time. Between the weather and the many events going on this week and next week, we were just plain mobbed. It thankfully slowed down by 4:30. Some of my customers were a bit annoying, including several who gave me heck about their bags not being perfect.

I came home in time to make an omelet for dinner and catch all of The Dress Circle this time. Some of the songs Irving Berlin wrote for the movies were heard tonight and will be heard next week as well. Among them were "Mammy" from The Jazz Singer, "Let Me Sing and I'm Happy" (which fits Al Jolson to a T), from Mammy, "Cheek to Cheek," "The Picolino," and the title song from Top Hat, "Snow," "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing," and "Count Your Blessings" from White Christmas, "This Year's Kisses" and "I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm," from On the Avenue, and a number that had been cut from the 1931 comedy Reaching for the Moon, "Do You Believe Your Eyes, Or Do You Believe Your Baby?" that was really catchy.

No comments: