Friday, August 14, 2015

Summertime Lovers

Started the morning with some third-season Remember WENN. One of the best episodes of the entire series (and one of the five currently unavailable on YouTube) is "From the Pen of Gertrude Reece." WENN's receptionist pens a radio script that turns into a hilarious spoof of Casablanca, with Scott Sherwood as Rick Blaine, Betty Roberts as Ilsa Lund, Victor Comstock as Victor Lazlo, and Mackie Bloom as Major Renault.

The forthcoming war is also at the heart of "Eugenia Bremer, Master Spy." An English counter-intelligence agent believes there's more codes being transmitted by the station. He thinks Eugenia's the one doing the transmitting. Is there another, less insidious, explanation for her mysterious behavior?

Work was busier than it has been, but still not overwhelming. A hot weekend once again means most of our customers will rush out of town to the nearest tourist spot as soon as possible. It was fairly busy when I came in. By rush hour, it was so quiet, I was able to shut down easily without a relief. Not only did I spent almost an hour doing returns, but I actually got them all done.

I'm not thrilled with my schedule next week. In good news, more hours, which I sorely need, and they're almost all the same late-morning/early afternoon hours I've had all summer. In not-good news, only one day off, Monday. I was really hoping to go to Atlantic City this week! Oh well, it'll have to wait another week. Not happy about an early day Sunday, either.

Once again, my grocery shopping was kept to a minimum. It was mostly restocking - I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, sugar, chocolate chips, olive oil, skim milk, bubble bath, mandarin oranges. I finally found a laundry bag in with the back-to-school items. Thank heavens for all the college kids on their way back to school! It cost me $3.49, more than it would have at Dollar Tree, but at least I found one. It's made of nylon - I hope it lasts.

I spent most of the day before and after work writing. Betty's siblings - Jeff, Enid, Doug, and C.J - are worried about her. While her father Mackie fumes and frets, they take a more direct route and go to a truly evil sea witch, the snobbish and nasty Ruth Geddy. She does offer to help them...but not because she particularly cares about them or Betty. She wants an immortal soul of her own, so she can control theaters and seek applause on land and under the waves.

Watched Love Me Tonight as I ate leftovers for dinner. This classic 1932 musical is a modern fairy tale about a French princess (Jeanette MacDonald) who is wasting away in an old chateau in the country, surrounded by elderly nobles and her man-crazy cousin (Myrna Loy). When a tailor from Paris (Maurice Chevalier) shows up trying to get a playboy count's (Charlie Ruggles) debts, the count introduces him as a baron to avoid trouble. The princess is rude to him first, but she ultimately falls for this charming, cheeky fellow. When she finds that "The Son of a Gun Is Nothing But a Tailor," she learns that a truly modern princess can make her own happy ending...and it doesn't matter if the prince charming is a tailor or baron.

I'm so glad Kino International released this wonderful movie on DVD about a decade ago. I thoroughly agree with Amazon.com - this is the best musical you've never heard of. Fabulous songs by Rogers and Hart (including the title number, "Lover," and "Isn't It Romantic") and great performances from the leads, Loy, Ruggles, and Charles Butterworth as a wimpy suitor of the princess make this an elegant treat, one of the last major film musicals released before 42nd Street changed the rules of what a movie musical should be. Very highly recommended.

No comments: