Saturday, August 15, 2015

Into the Craft Fair

Today was Collingswood Farm Market Day. It was a beautiful day for it, too, warmer than it has been but still not humid. The farm market was once again packed, even late in the morning. The summer harvest is out in full force, tumbling over long tables of succulent, colorful produce. Blueberries are gone, and I didn't see any apples or small melons today, but I saw plenty of just about everything else. I ended up with white peaches, blackberries, a green and a yellow zucchini, two little round yellow squashes from one of the organic booths, an heirloom tomato, and an unusual vine with greens on it that the farmer said tastes like spinach. (They also sell the Chinese beans and the many varieties of heirloom tomatoes.)

Haddon and Collings Avenues were blocked off when I arrived. I totally forgot that today was also Collingswood's annual Summer Craft Show. This fair emphasizes craft booths of every kind, from wood workers to tile-layers, from jewelry to soap-making. They were even busier than the farm market by 11 AM with people exploring and checking out the goods for sale. Though I enjoy looking at the items, I'm afraid it's very rare that I can actually buy something. Most crafts are either too expensive for me, or too large or awkward or delicate to carry home on my bike. I finally found some bars of hand-made soap that were being sold for $3.50 each. Went with Fruit of the Vine, which is, according to the soap-maker, partially made from wine.

Had lunch when I got home and put everything away. I started Into the Woods while I was eating leftovers for lunch. I didn't get the chance to finish it. I'll watch the rest of it tomorrow or Monday before I run errands.

Work was on-and-off busy all afternoon. There were quite a few grumpy people, too. I have no idea what got into everyone. (Mom said on Thursday night that people have been grouchy at the Ferry, too.) Thankfully, it did slow down enough by 7 for me to leave with no relief.

No comments: