Friday, May 12, 2017

Meddling Kids and Guardians

Got a little bit of a later start today. Ate breakfast and got organized while watching a few travel and vacation-themed episodes of Sailor Moon. "Usagi & Rei: Nightmare In Dreamland" is set right after Rei joins the Guardians in the early first season. The duo, Luna, and Ami investigate a new amusement park in Tokyo. Evidently, guests have been vanishing from the park at an alarming rate. Rei and Usagi keep bickering over every little thing, from riding the life-like robotic animals to whether or not Mamoru looks like Tuxedo Mask. They have to learn to get along in a hurry when Ami is trapped by a creepy robot princess who creates spell-binding illusions.

"I Want a Boyfriend: The Luxury Cruise Ship Is a Trap" takes the trio onto a romantic dream cruise for two. Rei wins tickets and invites Ami along for the ride. A jealous Usagi stows away with a less-than-amused Luna. Usagi's thrilled when the captain pays attention to her, but the trip loses its glamour fast when it turns out to be a Negaverse plot.

Usagi's on a more serene vacation in "The Legendary Lake Yokai: The Bond of Usagi's Family." Her parents take her and her brother to a beautiful mountain resort. The lake has a folk story about a jealous monster attached to it. A hypnotized Mamoru thinks he can use the monster...but the creature has its own ideas.

Headed out to run errands around 11:30. First stop was the Acme. I was originally going to do my grocery shopping tomorrow, but we're supposed to get torrential downpours. Despite the chilly clouds, I figured I was better off getting it done today. With Lauren visiting next week, I needed a huge order.

First of all, there's no way I'm going to make it to the Collingswood Farm Market tomorrow if it's going to rain that hard. I picked up bananas, grapefruit, apples, mushrooms, and green beans. Restocked chocolate chips, cocoa, Pepperidge Farm Goldfish Graham Crackers (French Toast this time), skim milk, tuna, yogurt (one Dannon, two Chobani), shredded cheese, cake mix, peanut butter, black beans, canola oil, and pasta. For once, they were having really good chicken sales, possibly due to Mother's Day this weekend. I found chicken tenders for a good price and skinned chicken thighs with coupons on them that brought them down to a more manageable price. I had a lot of Monopoly coupons I wanted to use, too, Used one for Triscuits; tried the Dill, Sea Salt, and Olive Oil flavor. (Yum! It's delicious.)

Picked up my schedule while I was there. I'm mostly on vacation this week, with an extra day off on Monday. On one hand, I figured I'd be working Sunday for Mother's Day, and I could use even a little money when I get back. The hours are early in the morning, though, which is a bit of a pain on a Sunday.

When I finally got home, I put everything away and had lunch while watching Scooby Doo, Where are You? The Mystery Inc crew has their own monster to deal with in "Nowhere to Hyde" from the second season. The gang is shocked to discover none other than Mr. Hyde of the famous novel rooting around in their van. They follow him to a mansion, where the great-grandson of the original mad scientist insists he's been turning into him and committing robberies. In one of the trickier mysteries of the original series, the gang thinks the maid might be doing it instead...but is it really her?

Daphne gets caught in a "Mystery Mask Mix-Up" while the gang's visiting San Francisco's Chinatown. The golden mask she bought from an antique shop turns out to have been stolen centuries before from the tomb of a warlord...and now, he and his undead henchmen want it back, even if they have to kidnap Daphne to do it!

It was past 2 before I got started on the next round of errands. I needed stamps for my card for Mom in Erma. The Oaklyn Post Office was empty when I arrived. The nice lady there helped me choose some nifty Mexican food-themed stamps.

The other big thing I wanted to get done today was a haircut. My hair has been a frizzy mess for months. I totally forgot it's prom season. The salon chairs at the Hair Cuttery in Collingswood were filled with young ladies getting their hair styled into fancy updos and curls. It was over a half-hour before I was able to get mine cut and styled, but it was worth the wait. I got it cut much shorter this time, just under my shoulders. The older blond lady styled it and even gave me a conditioning treatment. It's layered, shiny, and bouncy now, and I just love it.

My original plan was to volunteer at the Haddon Township Library next, but I'd waited for too long. It was quarter after 4 by the time they were finished with my hair. I just ended up riding home.

Did some writing for the next few hours. Luke and Rusty travel down the Calamari River to Dagobah, a swampy country far downstream. It's not the most friendly country, either. Rusty's nearly eaten by a river creature on arrival. After Luke gets him out, they encounter a tiny Asian man. He tries to fool Luke, but Rusty knows him. He's fought with him. Yes, he's Liang Yoda, the wise Chinese man who had been one of the top Jedi Guards. He's worried Luke will turn out like his wayward father. Luke, Rusty, and the spirit of Sir Benjamin Kenton insist otherwise.

Finished the night with leftover tacos and sauteed spinach and mushrooms for dinner and two more episodes of Scooby Doo. "A Night of Fright Is No Delight" for Scooby when he's set to inherit a million dollars from an eccentric old man he once rescued...provided he and the other heirs can spend a night in the man's spooky old mansion. A pair of green phantoms are determined to scare all of the heirs away, including Scooby.

The gang is saying "Go Away Ghost Ship" when they help a man whose shipping company has been plagued by the ghost of a pirate who had once been jailed by his ancestor. When they explore the ship itself, they find a far more recent reason for Blackbeard to once again be plying his trade.

No comments: