Sunday, April 21, 2019

Home Sweet Easter

Began my Easter with early work. It was...pretty much the same as yesterday, actually. The worst we got was mildly steady around 10:30-11. I very briefly ended up in a register and cleaned up a spill, but I mostly alternated between doing carts, shelving two full carts of returns, and gathering baskets. I had plenty of help, with two other baggers arriving eventually, and no trouble at all. It was a decent day for doing carts, too, on and off sunny and breezy. It was warm, but not overly so for this time of year, I believe in the upper 60's.

Ran into Rose, who was grocery shopping with little miss Finley, while I did the returns. Evidently yes, as Dad and Jodie said, she was having eye problems - it looked like some kind of nasty eye infection. Khai had just gotten over a bout of strep throat, too. They were going to go to her husband Craig's parents' house for Easter dinner, but she didn't sound to sure about it. I never heard from her the rest of the day, so I'm going to presume they did. She also mentioned a birthday party for Khai tomorrow; I may at least try to stop by and drop off their birthday gifts before that.

(I also got Easter greetings from Mom via texting, and I texted Dad later in the day.)

After I changed into regular clothes and bought small packs of tissues for work, I headed across Audubon to the Legacy Diner. Surprisingly, they were also just steady despite it being almost 12:30 and the diner being less than a block from a church. I tried a strawberry-raspberry crepe. They did use really large, sweet strawberry pieces in the filling, but the raspberry compote was gluey and the crepes were a little burned. They were still quite edible, though.

Stopped at WaWa on the way home. Instead of buying a slice of heavy cake or cheesecake at the diner, I opted to get a strawberry milkshake as an Easter treat. They were slightly busier than the Acme or the diner, but a second line opened just as the kids behind the counter finished my milkshake.

After I got home, I decided to try something. Last year, I attempted to make yeast Lemon Rolls, but they didn't rise and ended up being hard as rocks. I think the yeast I used was dead. This time, the dough rose normally, and the rolls came out amazing, just sweet and tart enough. I was out of powdered sugar and opted to make a lemon-honey glaze that gave it the right note.

Watched Yogi the Easter Bear while I worked. Yogi and Boo Boo are in big trouble when Yogi eats all the candy Ranger Smith intended for Jellystone's big Easter Jamboree. They go to the Easter Bunny to get replacements and end up rescuing him and the Easter Chicken from a pair of bizarre plastic-obsessed villains.

Switched to Bugs Bunny's Easter Funnies as I cleaned up the bread mess. The Easter Bunny is sick and asks Granny to find a replacement. She first turns to Bugs, but he's busy making his cartoons. They eventually turn to the other Looney Tunes to see if they'd make an appropriate Easter Bunny (via clips from various shorts, some of them Oscar-winners).

Ran one more Looney Tunes short as I finished the dishes. Easter Funnies was not the first time Bugs was asked to fill in for the Easter Bunny. "Easter Yeggs" has Bugs taking over delivering eggs for the tired bunny...but the bratty child of a criminal and Elmer's attempts to have him for Easter dinner makes him regret his desire to help.

Worked on writing and messed around online for a while. Ben has Rudy hack into the Iron Works' computer system to find out where the controls for the electricity are. Ben insists that he has to turn it off alone. Luke wants to go with him, but Ben feels he must do this alone.

Charlie showed up as I was gathering the risen batter to shape into rolls. Apparently, he intends to start putting in the new windows in the bedroom. That's going to be a little more complicated than doing them in the living area or bathroom. I have a lot of stuff next to the windows in my bedroom, including my modem, a shelf of young adult paperback books, my desk, and my self-help books. I left the modem and the desk, but moved the books and the shelf (good thing it was an easily-collapsible folding shelf).

Broke for dinner at quarter of 7. I made pasta salad with broccoli florets, sliced tomato wedges, tri-color spiral pasta, scallions, cubes of Monterrey Jack cheese, olive oil, rice vinegar, and lime juice to go with my pan-cooked ham slice. The pasta salad wasn't bad, although I suspect it'll be even better tomorrow after spending time in the fridge.

Finished off the night with rolls for dessert and two more Easter specials. The Easter Bunny Is Comin' to Town was the last Rankin-Bass Easter cartoon in 1977. Sunny the Bunny is adopted by the orphans of Kidsville, who basically regard him as one of them. He encourages them to try to sell their eggs in gloomy Town. Lady Lily Longtooth, the rigid ruler of Town, keeps forbidding Sunny, his eggs, and every other thing he comes up with to get around her strict rules...but even she can't stop tradition.

It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown has the Peanuts getting ready for the festivities in their own ways. Peppermint Patty wants to show her best friend Marcie how to dye eggs, but Marcie keeps doing everything to the eggs but hard-boiling them. Sally wants new spring shoes, and Snoopy is looking for a bird house for Woodstock. Don't bother with all the fuss, says Linus. The Easter Beagle does all that. Sally's skeptical of his theories after the non-arrival of the Great Pumpkin at Halloween. Lucy would rather color and find her own eggs.

And here's hoping you had a lovely and enjoyable Easter or Passover of your own!

No comments: