Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Out In the Sunshine

Started off a sunny morning with breakfast and more Smallville. Clark and Lana find a baby abandoned in a cornfield. They take it home and think they're going to be its surrogate parents...but it turns out to be "Ageless," rapidly aging from a baby to a boy to a young teen in less than 48 hours. Clark turns to Lex to help him find a cure, and to Chloe to find the boy's parents.

I spent most of the morning trying to job hunt...and trying figure out why I have so many problems job hunting. I shouldn't have problems job hunting. I don't know why it's so nerve wracking for me. I look jobs up, I do research...but in the end, I can never write the proposal or send the application. It's not that I can't do the work. I just can't advertise myself.

First of all, my current website is blah, boring, full of ads, and hasn't been updated in years, but I don't know how to do anything fancier, or whom I could hire to make something fancier. Second, there's a big chunk of me who is terrified that if I draw attention to myself, I'll just bring in a ton of bullies and trolls who'll hurt me. I've spent a lot of my life trying to avoid encouraging bullies. Third...another part of me doesn't think I'm worth promoting. If I was worth promoting, I wouldn't be having these problems.

At one point, I opted to stretch my legs and went downstairs to check my mail. The first part of my Amazon.com order arrived! Warners finally put out the next collection of Popeye shorts - and the first color shorts - as part of the Warner Archives. It's probably overpriced for the few cartoons that are there, but I had to have it. I have the sets based around the 30's and World War II shorts.

I finally got fed up and headed out around quarter after noon. Went to Phillies Phatties for lunch. Despite it being the lunch hour, it was pretty quiet in there. I think there might have been two other people watching ESPN discuss the NFL Draft next week and the basketball play-offs with me. I had a slice of mushroom, a slice of a tasty basil-and-mozzarella, and a can of Cherry Vanilla Pepsi.

Next stop was the Oaklyn Library. They were absolutely dead when I arrived. I think there may have been one other person talking to the librarian as the sad news about the fire at the Notre Dame Cathedral and all the money pouring in to rebuild it played on CNN. I took a look at the DVDs and shelved a pile of Dr. Seuss books in the kids' area and moved on.

No wonder it was dead at the Library. The weather was absolutely gorgeous today. It was sunny and warm, but not as ridiculously hot as over the weekend, a perfect mid-60's and breezy. It was a great day to ride through Newton Lake Park. I wasn't the only person who thought so. I dodged other bikers, parents pushing strollers, and dog walkers as I headed to Westmont. It's really spring here now. The trees have shiny pale green leaves; bright yellow buttercups waving in the breeze line the banks of the lake.

The Haddon Township Library was only a little busier than the Oaklyn Library had been. I spent my session doing a good, thorough organizing of the kids and adult DVDs. Didn't take out any movies myself - I still have a lot to watch at home - but I did grab the next Bryant and May novel, Bryant and May On the Loose, the next Super Hero High story for Harley Quinn, and returned to the Daisy Dalyrumple series with Superfluous Women.

Stopped at Target on the way home. I needed to pick up something for my nephew Khai's ninth birthday on Friday. Did what I did for him last year and went with a Pokemon action figure. I also grabbed something to drink - this sinus infection keeps making my throat dry.

Headed straight home after that. Worked on writing for a little while when I got in. Harris charges past Mara Jadeson and follows one of Vader's lackeys to the gates of the supposedly-abandoned Mufasar Iron Works. Meanwhile, Vader has tried to torture Leia to get the information out of her, but it hasn't worked. He has an even more insidious trap for the young superheroine...

Broke for dinner at 6:30. Did another episode of Smallville while I ate leftovers. The school's photographer wants high school to last "Forever" and brings students to a version of the school he set up in an abandoned building. If kids try to leave, he uses his powers to turn them into wax statues. Clark has to literally turn the tables on him. Meanwhile, the Teagues have also captured Lionel and Lex and are trying to figure out where the Stones are...but they underestimate just how loyal father and son are to each other.

Moved to Kirby's Epic Yarn during dessert. Went back and got the music disc for Wispy Woods, then moved on. I got all the items on Cloud Palace (but not much in the way of beads), but missed the music disc at King Dedede's Castle. I'll have to go back there before I head to the final confrontation with Yin Yarn.

Finished the night with You'll Never Get Rich. I go further into this vehicle for Rita Hayworth and Fred Astaire at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

You'll Never Get Rich

No comments: