Tuesday, October 04, 2022

It's Really Very Windy Today

It was still showering hard when I woke up this morning. Took the laundry downstairs, then watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse while eating breakfast. When Goofy lets "Pluto's Ball" bounce away from the Clubhouse, he, Pluto, and Mickey go on a wild chase after it. Donald thinks it's a golf ball and Chip and Dale play catch with it, but Minnie and Daisy - and Toodles! - come up with the best way to get it down.

Thankfully, by the time I headed out to Collingswood, the rain had ended. It remained cold, cloudy, windy, and damp, but I still took my bike. The wind was too strong for strolling under an umbrella, and if it wasn't raining, I didn't want to spend money on Uber.

Dodged several construction workers as I arrived. One man tried to fix the ATM machine in the entrance. The others put up drywall in front of the former teller line, blocking it from the main room. I managed to get someone's attention, and they sat me down with a young woman right away.

I just wanted to upgrade my accounts, now that I actually have decent money in them. Ms. Ford, a sweet, slender young woman, finally managed to move into the next level accounts. Originally, I only wanted to upgrade my savings, but I forgot my checking account was attached to my "nest egg." That meant it had to be upgraded, too. They're now Premiere Money Market, which means I can collect higher interest and take more money out of the checking accounts.

Now, I need to figure out what to do with it. I want to get the rest of my inheritance out of John Hancock, too, where it's steadily losing money, before I have nothing left. I know I want to buy the smallest dwelling I can get away with - a studio apartment, a small condo, or a mobile home - but I need to figure out how else I can invest it, or where it should go. I originally intended to talk to their financial advisor on Thursday, but it turns out he has a meeting that day. I'll call him on Friday and tell him when we can get together next week.

Made a quick stop at WaWa down Haddon Avenue on the way back. Can never resist their "Gobbler" sandwich - turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and mayo - that's only out in the fall and around Christmas. Also picked up a peppermint mocha smoothie.

Though it was only misting at that point, it still wasn't a great day to be out running around. I got home around quarter after 1 and went nowhere else. Threw the laundry in the dryer, then watched Charlie & Lola while eating lunch. Lola insists "I Must Take Completely Everything" when she goes to a sleepover with her best friend Lotta, but leaves the suitcase behind. She and Lola are disappointed when they don't have what they need to play Cinderella, and Charlie and his best friend Marv are equally upset when they can't find the last piece of track they need to race cars. The kids learn a lesson in improvisation when the girls use items from around the house for their play, and the boys imagine that their cars can fly.

Had counseling at 2 PM. Not a whole lot to report. I enjoyed my vacation, as I always do when Lauren and I get together. I'm worried about my new niece Aurora, who was born too early and needs surgery on her intestines. I'm still waiting to hear from Vanessa at Abilities Solutions. I'll try calling again later this week or early next week. 

I'm trying to figure out what to do about Thanksgiving. I'll likely help friends out with Halloween and go to Jessa's for Christmas again, but I usually spend Thanksgiving with Rose. No idea where I'll end up for dinner now. I need to find other ways to celebrate holidays besides family get-togethers, since I really don't have a family anymore. Now more than ever, I need to be my own family.

I also need to talk to several people about finding somewhere to live. Although the owner is very nice about it and said I can stay for as long as I want, I can't live in two attic rooms forever. I want to buy something, but not only am I all too aware of the current state of the market, even the starter houses most families so desperately want are too big for me. I need something smaller - a condo, a small apartment, a mobile home. I'm tired of living in illegal dwellings and being forced out every time the owner wants to upgrade, sell the building, or keep it for themselves or their friends.

After we finished at 3, I vacuumed, dusted, and folded the laundry while watching Wonder Man. I go further into this musical thriller that has Danny Kaye playing twin brothers at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Did some writing for a while after that. Brett's all for dinner after the show, but Jack wants to find out if he won anything on the (real-life) Rams-Falcons game. Brett is fed up with his gambling; he's fed up with her heavy drinking.

Broke for dinner at quarter of 7. Got off just in time to see two contestants keep 400 dollars on Let's Make a Deal while eating leftovers for dinner. They missed furniture and appliances...and the one person who took something on the floor ended up with teddy bears. I liked them, but I suspected she would have preferred the appliances. A doctor traded his 400 for the appliances he didn't get the first time. A young couple dressed as school kids, with her in pigtails, got the big deal of the day. He was likely happy with the huge projection TV and piano; she was thrilled with a beautiful white and brown fur coat, despite it being too big for her and, as Monty said, looking more like a fur cape.

Continued into Match Game '77 while having dessert. No clue who Trudi Wiggins is. The soap opera she starred in, Love of Life, ended when I was about a year old. Richard and Gene were much happier drooling over perfect sun-kissed former Playboy Playmate Chris Cranston. Richard had less luck helping her with "__ Desert" in the Head-to-Head. She was finally defeated by an equally pretty Asian woman in the next episode, but Rich didn't do any better helping her with "__ Daughter." 

Finished off the night on Buzzr and YouTube with more classic episodes featuring Bob Eubanks. I've never been a really huge fan of The Newlywed Game. I vaguely remember the 90's version being on when I was in my first year or two of college, but not much more than that. I have to admit, it's still pretty funny. Basically the same idea, but the answers are even racier. Some of the reactions - from Eubanks and the couples - were downright hysterical. 

Eubanks appeared on a special week of the syndicated Richard Dawson Family Feud with then-game-show hosts (and one former Miss America host) playing each other. He was one of the "Marvelous MCs" with Betty White, Jim Perry, Bill Cullen, and Nipsey Russell. They played Peter Marshall, Leslie Uggams, Jim Lange, Tom Kennedy, and Bert Parks, who were the "Heavenly Hosts." Marshall and Uggams lead their team to victory in the episode I watched on Buzzr. 

Since I've seen the Trivia Trap episode they ran before, I went to YouTube for more of that week. This time, between Bill Cullen being a brilliant panelist wherever he appears and Betty White's quick mind, the Marvelous MCs were the ones who made it to the Fast Money. They did just as well, too. 

Oh, and a final twangy guitar for Loretta Lynn, who passed away today. I went further into her film biography Coal Miner's Daughter at my Musical Dreams blog in March. 

No comments: