Saturday, February 25, 2023

Let It Snow a Little Bit

Started off the morning with breakfast and messing around online while watching Doc McStuffins. Doc and the toys go on "The Search for Squibbles" when Stuffy's fluffy ball puppy goes missing. Stuffy fears he'll never see his best friend again, but Doc remembers that Squibbles does have a way to be tracked, via the collar he borrowed from Dress Up Daisy's electronic poodle Piper. Doc has a hard time rounding up her Log 'O Lemurs, acrobats who love leaping and catching each other...until one of them, Wyatt, realizes he came from the factory missing an arm. Doc assures him that he's "Factory Fabulous" and can still do many tricks.

Worked on the computer a bit, then headed out to work. No trouble getting a ride today whatsoever. Got a driver in 7 minutes going to work. Surprisingly, given I got out at the height of rush hour, I was able to get a driver who arrived in literally no time at all. It snowed a little bit on my way to work, but it wasn't anything huge and never did much besides look pretty coming down. 

Work was off-and-on busy. We'd have long lines, then they'd suddenly die out for twenty minutes or a half hour, then the lines would get long again. Some folks may have been scared off by the weather. Others may be waiting to get their beginning-of-the-month checks next week. Other than a few annoying people, there were no major problems. They did have to get a manager to come in for me when it became clear my line wasn't going to go away and I had no relief.

Had a few things to pick up after work. Found Secret gel deodorants on the clearance racks with 50 % off coupons, both 2-packs and individual. I couldn't decide which I wanted, so I bought a 2-pack and two individual ones. Grabbed a pack of muffins for lunch this week. Although the Nature's Valley granola bars weren't on sale this time, I still had an online coupon for them. Also had an online coupon for a free Oiko's yogurt; got two, since they were 89 cents this week. 

Bought a "cookie cake" to try for dessert. It's two wedges of the Acme's pizza pan-sized cookie cakes sandwiched together with thick buttercream frosting and topped with more frosting and chocolate drizzle. It's...way too rich. All that frosting was a little too much, even for me. I'm glad I tried it once, but I won't do it again. 

Went straight into writing when I got home. Richard will take the room. It's a few blocks from the jail, it's clean, and it has a nice view. He also asks Marcia about the Match-Up Times and its reporters. She says they're smart, hard-working ladies, and Lee in particular is known for being tenacious.

Had dinner and as I watched Polly: Comin' Home! I go further into the equally popular sequel to Polly that shows her attempts to bring her aunt and her professor sweetheart together and help the townspeople with an election at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 


Finished the night with the Lawrence Welk Show. In honor of Black History Month, I did three episodes hosted by and prominently featuring dancer Arthur Duncan. Duncan was one of two black members of Lawrence Welk's family for pretty much the show's entire run. (Drummer Paul Humphrey joined in the late 70's.) Fond though I am of the show's singers, I have a special place in my heart for Duncan and Bobby Burgess and his partners. I'm not a terrible dancer, but I certainly can't do the amazing things Duncan does with his feet in his "Stop Time" number from the "Shall We Dance" episode or the adorable "Cute" he performs on top of a piano Larry Hooper's playing from the September-themed one. He can dress down or go high up, as he does in "Lullaby of Broadway" from the "Oscar Winning Songs" show. 

Celebrate one of the great tap men with these three episodes revolving around various musical and dance styles and favorite Oscar-winning songs! 

No comments: