Thursday, February 02, 2023

The Groundhog Saw His Shadow

My alarm went off at 8. I closed my eyes for a few minutes...and when I opened them, it was 9:30. Yikes! I had to be in Collingswood at 10. Even with eating quickly as possible and rushing through dressing, I still arrived at PNC Bank ten minutes late.

Ironically, as it turned out, they weren't ready for me anyway. The financial manager's early appointment ran overtime. Even when I did talk to him, he didn't really have much to say. He'd only been able to make a few phone calls before being swamped with first other work, then the holidays. He did mention I'd have to sign some paperwork to get my money out of John Hancock or make it so it'll collect more interest eventually, but didn't have much else to tell me. He said he'll call back next week with more information.

Had enough time to stop at WaWa for a quick treat. Went with a simple Peppermint Pattie cappuccino. It tasted more of mint than of anything else. I grabbed it, then drank it quickly on the way home. At least the weather's still pretty decent. It was windy, but sunny and probably in the mid-upper 30's, about what it should be at this time of year. A little chilly, but nothing like it's going to be for the next few days! (In fact, considering what it is supposed to be for the next few days, I'm not surprised the groundhog saw his shadow.)

Went straight home and upstairs. I did my journal and read two chapters of A Dark and Stormy Tea, then looked over a book on finding jobs and changing careers from 40 onwards. Grabbed lunch really quick after I put the book outside, then raced out for work.

Work started out busy this time. It's the second day of the month, and between the cut hours, people getting better jobs, and several people on medical or emergency leave, we simply do not have enough help. I was often the only regular cashier open, and my line would be going down an aisle. We were so short on help, my break was a half-hour late because they had to wait for someone to arrive who could come in for me. (They did manage to pull a guy from the deli to help later.)

Went straight into grocery shopping soon as I finished my shift. Mainly wanted pads. Took a minute to find them; they were among the things rearranged early in December. Picked up grapes, granola bars, and peanut butter wafers...but forgot the yogurt. 

Had dinner after I got home while watching Match Game Syndicated. Came in just in time to see the audience give Bob Barker's answer a standing ovation. He's so delighted, he promises cars and refrigerators to the whole crowd. 

Bob had far less luck in the second episode when his chair broke and shrunk down beyond the desks. Betty White lowered herself down in solidarity with him. Meanwhile, Charles teases Bob about his studded leather vest, Gene chats with a Hungarian gentleman, and Charlene name-drops her fellow Dallas star Patrick Duffy and his then-new sci fi show The Man From Atlantis

Finished the night on Tubi with Juke Joint. I go further into the last B "race movie" made by pioneering black director and writer Spencer Williams Jr. at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

No comments: