Saturday, February 18, 2023

Winter Reasserts Itself

I was so worn out, it was noon when I finally rolled out of bed, and past 1:30 when I had brunch and watched Doc McStuffins. Rescue helicopter Ronda breaks a rotor while getting Stuffy down from the roof of Doc's clinic. Ronda can't resist continuing to rescue her friends, even after Doc's pasted her up, but Doc admonishes her to "Rest Your Rotors, Ronda!" Ronda finally finds a way to help her friends in trouble without flying - by being a good leader. Donnie's eager for his new toy truck Tremaine to win a toy car show in the park. He's upset when Tremaine scrapes his snazzy new paint job. Doc tells Donnie she'll fix him...but it's hard to do that with Tremaine constantly zooming around. Doc reminds him that in order to "Keep On Truckin'," he has to hold still.

Watched F-Troop for an hour or so while I tried and tried and tried again to re-crochet my round place mat and get it to lie flat. "The Phantom Major" (Bernard Fox) wants to teach F-Troop how to capture Natives using subterfuge. Of course, his idea of "subterfuge" is everyone hiding in tree and horse costumes. No one wants to become a Native-hunting troop, least of all Agorn and O'Rourke, whose enterprises are threatened by the major's plans. They all work together to find a way to scare him off.

Agorn overhears O'Rourke talking to the fort veterinarian after he's gone to the vet with complaints about an upset stomach. He thinks they're talking about him dying and writes "Corporal Agorn's Farewell to the Troops," which includes a full confession about his and O'Rourke's activities, and sends it to the inspector general. Once he learns the truth, he and O'Roarke pose as mail bandits to get it back...but the real bandits are after the mail, too.

By that point, I just felt depressed. Nothing's going right. I couldn't get my round to do what it was supposed to do. I can't get myself to do what I'm supposed to do, either. I hurt myself for the second time in three years. I don't want to work in a grocery store or live in an attic forever, and I'm tired of not being able to change. It shouldn't take twenty years to make things better...and the harder I try, the worse things get. I'm so frustrated and angry with myself for not doing better.

I didn't care about my stupid ankle. I was tired of sitting inside. Pulled on the boot and went for a walk to the fried chicken and gyro place a block down the street. Besides, it was too nice to sit inside all day. It was cold, yes, in the upper 30's, but sunny and bright and still. Frankly, it felt more like a typical day in mid-February than it has lately.

Needless to say at 4 PM, they were totally empty. I managed to explain to the gentleman behind the counter I wanted a tilapia sandwich with fries and a Cranberry Canada Dry Ginger Ale. I've never tried their flavored ginger ales before. This one wasn't bad, a little sweet but slightly tart. The fries were hot and crispy and not too salty. The fish sandwich was huge, with a bun that took up half the plate, slightly spicy and totally delicious.

Worked on writing when I got home. I can't figure out this story, either. It's going nowhere. I may either re-write it to make everyone already knowing each other when Richard is "the Ace," or switch to the western story I put off. It's moving way too slow and taking too long to introduce everyone.

Broke for dinner at 6:30. Watched Polly while I ate. I go further into this charming TV adaptation of Pollyanna from 1989 with a mostly-black cast at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Finished the night on YouTube with The Lawrence Welk Show. I couldn't find any shows on Washington's Birthday, and only the Valentine's Day one for Lincoln. Turned to the other holiday next week, Mardi Gras, instead. For some reason, the 1966 show kicks off with "Brotherhood of Man." "I Dreamed' of dressing in costume at the parade, the Lennon Sisters sing wistfully. Bobby Burgess, Arthur Duncan, and Jack Imel are "Together Wherever We Go" in a lively dance routine. A beautifully costumed Norma Zimmer admits "I Could Have Danced All Night." Bobby Burgess and Barbara Boylen show off their stuff to "High Society," while Jo Ann Castle, Myron Floren, and Kenny King have a blast on their accordions with "Clarinet Polka." 

The episode from 1976 had a similar theme and equally lavish and strange costumes. This time, Bobby and Cissy King got their square dance on with their ode to "Big D." Guy and Ralna stay in Dallas to sing about "The Yellow Rose of Texas." Ralna returns later in a tiara and huge fur collar to ask "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?"  Norma Zimmer's ballad in costume here is the theme from Gone With the Wind, "My Own True Love." Arthur Duncan admits he's "Breezin' Along With the Breeze" in his lively solo. The Semonski Sisters get an adorable "Windy," while Anacani in a frilly sequined and striped dance outfit encourages everyone to "Come to the Mardi Gras." Larry Hooper admits to the chorus "That's What I Like About the South." 

Found a "Riverboat Show" from 1980 with a lot of the same songs and a similar deep-south theme. Bobby and his new partner Elaine Nivenson get "Waitin' For the Robert E. Lee" in this episode, here done as a energetic cakewalk. Arthur Duncan does his own solo version a little earlier in the show. Anacani goes really, really deep south with "South of the Border." Country diva Ava Barber's joined by organist Bob Ralston to sing about those "Southern Nights." Kathie Sullivan gets the lovely ballad "Stars Fell on Alabama," while Guy and Ralna croon about that "Moon Over Miami." Ken Delo shows off another side of his talents with his hand puppet "friend" who helps him out with "Down By the Riverside." 

Join the Mardi Gras parade and ride on a riverboat way down south with Lawrence Welk and his champagne partiers!

No comments: