Sunday, June 11, 2023

Before the Rains Came

Began the morning with breakfast and putting a dent in that pile of CDs I bought during vacation. The Billboard Top Rock n' Roll Hits was a series of CDs Rhino Records put out in the 90's and 2000's that collected the 10 biggest rock hits of a given year from the 50's through the 70's on one disc. According to Wikipedia, I have the 1993 re-release of the 1963 collection, with "If You Wanna Be Happy" by Jimmy Soul and "Deep Purple" by Nino Tempo and April Stevens replacing "Fingertips" by Stevie Wonder and "Walk Like a Man" by the Four Seasons. I really bought it for "Sugar Shack" by Jimmy Gilmer and the Fireballs, "He's So Fine" by the Chiffons, "Louie Louie," by the Kingsmen, and one I never heard of, "Easier Said Than Done" by The Essex.

(Incidentally, after the 1974 collection, Rhino started calling these discs simply Billboard Top Hits. I have a bunch of those too, including for 1977-1979 and 1989.) 

Rushed off to work just as the CD ended. I wish I hadn't. Work was a royal pain in the rear. I don't know if the huge tanker truck fire that caused a highway to collapse in Philly scared people, or they were just in bad moods, but people gave me trouble all day. At least four people put back part or all of their large orders when they realized they had fuller carts than wallets. A man said I had a bad attitude when I tried to point out the sign that clearly stated that the container of strawberries needed the digital coupon to get it on sale. I swear, I wasn't trying to sound like that! I was just pointing out the sign. The man behind him said he was rude, but I still felt bad. I couldn't wait to get out of there. Thank goodness it slowed down enough by 4 for me to get out fast as I could move.

Since I got off earlier than I have been lately, I took the long way home down Nicholson Road. They were mainly busy with Sunday drivers out enjoying the weather. We badly need the rain called for tomorrow! Everything is so dry here. The green leaves are covered in dust from the roads; the grass is brittle yellow.

Changed into regular clothes when I got home, then grabbed my purse and went right back out. I wanted to run to Dollar General before the rain arrived. Needed the Sunbelt granola bars (just chocolate chip this time - they were out of the oat & honey). They have the Crest Gum Therapy toothpaste for far cheaper than anyone else, too. Went in, grabbed those and a bottle of Pepsi Zero, got out.

Ran more CDs after I got in. I mainly picked up the Sammy Davis Jr. Greatest Hits collection to get his famous version of "The Candy Man" from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  He also did an album of songs from the troubled 1967 musical film Doctor Doolittle. I really like his "Fabulous Places" and "Where are the Words." Other iconic Davis hits on this CD include "What Kind of Fool am I?," "I'm a Brass Band," "The Good Life," and "I've Gotta Be Me." 

I haven't seen the movie Swingers, but I do remember being a fan of the brief but fun swing revival in the late 90's. It was huge during my first two or three years in college, with concerts by local neo-swing bands and swing dance classes at the apartment complex rec center. The CD starts off strong with a standard from a genuine vintage swinger, Dean Martin's "You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You." Other great songs here include a version of "With Plenty of Money and You" by Count Basie and Tony Bennett, the original "King of the Road" by Roger Miller, and the awesome instrumentals "Pick Up the Pieces" by Average White Band and "Go Daddy-O" by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. 

Worked on writing while the CDs were on. Brett doesn't see the dog at first, until she hears barking. Joyce tries to cover it, but it's obvious. Brett thinks the dog is cute, but worries that the guards will see him. Her worries prove correct when the dog wanders out into the hall...

Finished the night on YouTube with the second Match Game Pride Month marathon. Jm J Bullock unleashed his wacky brand of comedy on Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour and Match Game '90. British game show host Michael Barrymore (who later saw his career damaged by scandal) and stand-up comedian Jason Stuart turned up in 1991. Tab Hunter joined Marylou Henner for a memorable week in 1978 that included Hunter introducing everyone to his busty hair dresser who certainly made Gene sit up and take notice! Phyllis Diller appeared fairly often on the syndicated show in 1980 and 1981; her funniest week was the one where she was joined by Fred Travelena and his many voices. Fannie Flagg finally got the chance to be a regular when Brett took the week of New Year's 1977 off to do a play and she found herself between ultimate fussbudgets Charles and Richard Deacon.

Show your pride and celebrate Pride Month with this very funny marathon!

No comments: