Saturday, June 17, 2023

Long Day In the Sun

Began the morning with a quick breakfast and Charlie & Lola. We're not the only ones who are dealing with heat. "I am Extremely Absolutely Boiling" moans Lola on a hot day. She and Charlie try everything they can think of to cool off. They're joined by Lola's guy friend Arnold...at least until Arnold knocks her ice cream on the ground and won't share his. Lola angrily claims they're not friends, but then Arnold drags out a wading pool...

Rushed off to work after the cartoon ended. Turns out the rush wasn't necessary. I was helping out the morning bagger today...or at least, that's what they told me. Up until around 3 PM or so, they kept putting me in registers so the cashiers could go on breaks. Even after he left, we were so busy, I had a hard time keeping up with the carts. I got scolded for not getting the trash in the employee lounge room. I would have, if I'd had the time, and the carts didn't keep disappearing. If I left them, I would have been called out to do them again anyway.

At least it was a nice day for gathering carts. Sunny and blue again, with a little haze early in the day but nothing like last week. It remains very windy...but that's probably a good thing, given it's also very hot, into the 80's. 

Did manage to get a little grocery shopping in after I finished. Picked up peach muffins for lunch and for breakfast next week. Blueberries and cherries were on good sales, the latter with an online coupon. The Acme's generic ice cream was also on a good sale with a digital coupon for $1.99. 

Went straight upstairs when I got home and into Rich, Young, and Pretty for Father's Day tomorrow on Amazon Prime. I go further into this 1951 vehicle for Jane Powell about a rich Texas rancher and his daughter, who falls in love on her first trip to Paris, at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 


Finished the night on YouTube to honor Father's Day with a black and white Lawrence Welk Show episode from 1960. Welk celebrated the show's fifth anniversary with cake from his singers. It was also Janet Lennon's birthday, and the boss gave her a lovely "Anniversary Waltz." The Lennons joined their real-life father to appropriately sing "The Anniversary Song." 

Other numbers got away from the holidays. Jimmy Roberts sings about "My Melody of Love," while Joe Feeny croons about "Smilin' Through." Welk and Myron Floren show off their dueling accordions on "Twelfth Street Rag." We also get "Dad's Waltz," once again with Floren. 

Let Lawrence Welk and his earlier musical family serenade your dad during his big barbecue tomorrow!

No comments: