Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Last Unicorn

Went to the Oaklyn Library down the street to do some job research. They proved to be of no help whatsoever. The librarians were busy bringing out trash, and the most recent book they had on the job market was from 1999. (The most recent encyclopedia they had was from 2002.) I found one flyer on becoming a librarian that listed a website and not much else. The tiny, three-room Oaklyn Library has some wonderful old children's books...but that doesn't cut it when you need up-to-date information.

I puttered around on my computer a bit after I got home and did my first pilates session of the week. As I looked at the date on my computer, I realized today is special. It's the second anniversary of my moving from Wildwood to Oaklyn! Yes folks, it's been two years since I left the Jersey Shore. To celebrate, since I was only working four hours and getting off fairly early, I decided to put that FYE gift card I got from my mom and stepdad for Christmas to good use and get myself a new WebKinz, and treat myself to a decent dinner.

Though it rained in the morning, by the time I went to work, it was merely cloudy and damp. Work was steady-to-quiet, not surprising for the end of January (a month most people spend broke anyway). It'll probably pick up this weekend as people stock up for Super Bowl parties.

FYE wasn't busy, either. There were a few boys around, but it was mostly me, two workers, and the last fifteen minutes of the 1985 fantasy film Legend. As I peered and poked around the store's WebKinz display, I saw something shiny on one of the bottom shelves. I reached under a pile of Persian Cats and Golden Retrievers and, much to my surprise, plucked out a Lil'Kinz Unicorn! The Lil'Kinz Unicorns were just retired last month. I know the retired WebKinz go for high prices online, and I never expected to see them at a regular shop, for $12, no less!

Meet Amalthea the Baby Unicorn! A sweetheart through and through, Malthie is smart, athletic, and loves to practice her swimming moves! She's named for the dainty, ethereal title character of the 1982 animated film The Last Unicorn. Given her retired status and the lack of WebKinz unicorns in stores, I thought it was appropriate. (Ironically, Legend, the movie running at FYE while I was there, also deals with unicorns.) She came with a gorgeous bed made of vines and flowers, and the cutest rainbow table, too! I set her up in a fantasy-themed room that ended up being something of a mix between the fantasy and the wizard. She said she'd always wanted a gem box, so she got that, and I moved the Charm Forest into her room as well from Miles' room.

I also found The Yogi Bear Show: The Complete Series used for $20. Yogi is (along with Huckleberry Hound) my favorite of the Hanna Barbara "Funny Animals" of the 50s and 60s. Snagglepuss, another favorite, is also featured. As much as I'd love to get more of the Hanna-Barbara collections (Scooby Doo, The Flinstones, Huckleberry, The Jetsons), most of them are just too expensive for me, which is why I was so thrilled to find Yogi for such a good price.

It was late by the time I finally dragged myself out of FYE, so I just stopped at Tu Se Bella Pizzeria and had a chicken cheese steak that was so big, half of it will be my lunch tomorrow.

No comments: