Saturday, October 24, 2009

Bountiful Harvest

I spent most of last night sniffling. My nose decided to get clogged up again early yesterday evening, and stayed that way all night. Needless to say, I didn't sleep very well at all.

Whether I slept well or not, I had to get up and run the usual Saturday chores, especially since I work early next week. It was cloudy, warm, and humid when I finally dragged myself out of bed, but not raining. I made it to the bank without incident and was in and out.

It started to rain a little when I was at the Farm Market. There were more booths and people in the parking lot than last week, but still not as many as usual. I ended up with carrots, red and green peppers, pears, little red apples, two heads of bok choy, the first New Jersey broccoli of the season, honey, turnips, and a nice medium-sized pumpkin for the living room table.

The rain picked up a bit as I rode back to Oaklyn, but it disappeared as I arrived home. I put my farm market finds away, and settled down to do stuff on the computer and watch movies until it was time for work.

Or so I thought...until I was called in around 11. They wanted me in "as soon as possible," but I still needed to change into my uniform and make lunch. I didn't get there until 12:30.

It was a really good thing I went in early. I was originally supposed to have been in at 2...and by then, it was absolutely cats-and-dogs-and-bears POURING. Just coming down and down. I would either have been drenched in that mess or ended up needing to call for a ride. As it was, my ride to and from work was wet, windy, and a bit of a pain in the rear.

Work was a pain in the rear, too. It was really, really busy, and we were once again short on help, this time due to call-outs. Crabby customers (and some crabby employees) did not help.

I had a lot of shopping to do and was very grateful when my relief showed up early. I found some good sales, including Yoplait Light Yogurt, small beef shoulder cuts, brown sugar, canola oil, jasmine green tea, fish fillets, granola bars, and things to make a pudding pie.

I just barely made it in the door when it started thundering and lighting and pouring again! I'm glad I got home when I did. Just another few seconds, and I would have been drenched!

Now, for a slice of Pumpkin Spice Pudding Pie...

No comments: