Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Some Call It Cold

Started out sunny today as I headed for the Haddon Township Library for this week's volunteer session. There wasn't a whole lot to do today. I put away some DVDs and children's books. Returned five books (including Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds, which I finished a few days ago) and the DVDs. Took out four more - another book on job hunting, that cookbook with light baked goods recipes I took out in the spring and loved, the next Blackbird Sisters novel, Some Like It Lethal, and the newest Maisie Dobbs novel, Among the Mad. (I've been looking for the latter for ages, since it came out last winter.)

I emerged into what had become a cold, cloudy, windy day. It couldn't be more than the upper 50s, really too cold for this time of year. (And it's supposed to get worse starting tomorrow, with rain and temperatures in the 40s. I wanted it to be a nice, fairly cool fall, but this feels like we're skipping Halloween and going straight to Thanksgiving. I'm not ready yet!)

Stopped at Dollar Tree after leaving the library. I was hoping they'd have an inexpensive witch's hat, but no dice. They had cowboy hats and pirate hats, but no witches hats. In fact, their Halloween aisles alternated with Christmas decorations. That's ridiculous. It's really too early for THAT. I bought soap and moved on.

Had lunch at the little bagel shop in the same shopping center, between Friendly's and the Game Stop. The place was packed when I walked in around lunchtime! Groups of students from the Catholic high school down the street joined older couples in the booths. The lady behind the counter told me when I paid that the kids got out of school early for their PSATs today. I had a delicious (and lively) roast beef and provolone on a whole wheat bagel with pickles and French fries. (I also discovered why the bagel shop is never opened when I'm there. The open at 5:30AM and close at 3PM. I'm usually done in the library well after 3PM.)

Rode home after lunch. Miss Ellie called me while I was doing research on my computer and reminded me that she owed me money for picking up sticks for her. I reminded her that I need to get started on raking soon, too. Trouble is, we have a ton of acorns right now, and the people who pick up the leaves aren't going to want them.

I picked up my money from Miss Ellie, then ran to work. Work was surprisingly steady for a Wednesday in the middle of the month, with no major problems.

1 comment:

D. R. Munro said...

I read some of your entires. I have nothing to say beyond that, but sometimes it is nice to know you're being read.